Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Let's just start with the definition of quarantine

quarantine
noun [ U ]

US

/ˈkwɑr·ənˌtin, ˈkwɔr-/

a period of time during which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept away from other people or animals so that the disease cannot spread:

In the saltwater hobby this is a minimum of 76 days with the veterinary recommendation being 90 days. 45 days clears everything but 1 disease.

Not sure what more information is needed or how much clearer this could be. Obviously you could say started qt, but beyond that the statement they are quarantined is not true.

I too applaud Blake for doing this and yes it is more than Liveaquaria tells us. It's just not 100% true.
It's true that we don't isolate fish from each other. We have large holding systems that house many fish at a time. We do hold some fish for up to 45 days, like bandit angels, but most don't receive observation for more than 30 days.

What's the 1 disease that isn't cleared after 45 days?

We don't want to be misleading and we absolutely want the best possible outcome for our fish. The therapeutic levels of chelated copper, constant nitrofurazone in the water column, bi weekly rounds of praziquantel, and feedings with metro and kana should address any velvet, ich, a wide spectrum of infections, and intestinal worms.

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Also.. We always have formalin on hand, but we rarely use it. We don't sell clownfish or chromis, so brooklynella and uronema aren't something we have to deal with on a regular basis. We had a few regal angels develop uronema months ago, but formalin baths and metro took care of it.

Regardless, it's important that our customers and all aquarists understand the importance of quarantine. We're going to add a tab on our website describing the benefits of QT that encourages our customers to quarantine their incoming fish.

Last edited:

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
If the fish are being held in therapeutic levels of copper for at least two weeks and are getting full doses of prazi twice a week, that's going to cover what I'm most concerned about as a hobbyist, unless the fish are wild clowns or chromis. Like has been said many times, @Tide Pool Aquatics thank you for listing your procedures.

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Only 2 more large male flame wrasse are available right now, and all sizes of females are still available.
A new shipment of male flame wrasse will be arriving soon.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
I placed few orders with Tide Pool Aquatics including couple wrasses. I aboustley loved the quality of specimens and customer service I received from them. All fishes cane disease free and ate right away.

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
I placed few orders with Tide Pool Aquatics including couple wrasses. I aboustley loved the quality of specimens and customer service I received from them. All fishes cane disease free and ate right away.
I'm glad you're happy with your fish!

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
@Braves Fan is enjoying his new male flame wrasse! Thanks for the feedback!

"Tide Pool Aquatics is a R2R vendor that specializes in fish ,, as far as I know they don't seem to sell corals ,, not that I could see anyway. I have been wanting to get a Flame Wrasse for my tank ,, if your going to have Wrasses ,,, a Flame Wrasse is kinda a must have fish ,, if you can get you hands on one ,, one of my other go to fish vendors has a Flame for sale ,, it wasn't cheap though ,, the price difference between the two vendors ,, not counting shipping was about $165 one vendor was free shipping the other was $45 ,, the down side ,, I have never used Tide Pool Aquatics ,, so was I willing to take a chance and buy this fish from a vendor I have never used to save money ,, the answer was yes. At the end of the day ,, they are a R2R vendor ,, for the most part ,, I have found most vendors who are sponsors of R2R are pretty good vendors.

So ,, what did I get ,,, I couldn't have flew out to California ,, went to their shop and picked out a nicer looking fish ,, they sent me the perfect fish ,, about 3 inches, maybe a tad bigger ,, a youngish fish ,, one that will be with me for years to come ,, I have some pretty Wrasses in my tank ,, but a Flame Wrasse is ,, well ,, one of them across the room fish ,, as good as it gets

I would definitely use this vendor again"

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hawaiian Flame Wrasses are hands down the most impressive of the Fairy wrasses IMO. Quite stunning to see for the first time. These look really healthy
They are a very impressive fish ,,

I have something to add here ,, I could be getting this wrong ,, if I am don't blast me ,, to bad :) The way I understand what is gong on with the exporting of fish from Hawaii ,, if you have a permit to catch fish for the export business ,, you can still do this ,, once your permit expires ,,, you won't be able to renew your permit ,, how much longer till all the outstanding permits expire and fish will no longer be collected and exported from Hawaii ,, I have no clue ,,

I know there are other Flame Wrasses out there from other areas that you can get ,, a Hooded Flame Wrasse comes to mind ,, is the Hooded as nice as the Hawaii Flame Wrasse ,, jmo ,, no ,, are there other places where the Hawaii Flame Wrasse can be collected ,, not that I know of ,, I could be wrong about that though ,,

My point is ,, the day is coming when you will no longer be able to get this fish for your aquarium ,, if you are wanting one ,, or are on the fence about buying one ,, you might want to get one of these fish now ,,

Last edited:
OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hawaiian Flame Wrasses are hands down the most impressive of the Fairy wrasses IMO. Quite stunning to see for the first time. These look really healthy
I agree. They've always been one of my favorites!

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
They are a very impressive fish ,,

I have something to add here ,, I could be getting this wrong ,, if I am don't blast me ,, to bad :) The way I understand what is gong on with the exporting of fish from Hawaii ,, if you have a permit to catch fish for the export business ,, you can still do this ,, once your permit expires ,,, you won't be able to renew your permit ,, how much longer till all the outstanding permits expire and fish will no longer be collected and exported from Hawaii ,, I have no clue ,,

I know there are other Flame Wrasses out there from other areas that you can get ,, a Hooded Flame Wrasse comes to mind ,, is the Hooded as nice as the Hawaii Flame Wrasse ,, jmo ,, no ,, are there other places where the Hawaii Flame Wrasse can be collected ,, not that I know of ,, I could be wrong about that though ,,

My point is ,, the day is coming when you will no longer be able to get this fish for your aquarium ,, if you are wanting one ,, or are on the fence about buying one ,, you might want to get one of these fish now ,,

There are divers and export companies that have successfully maintained their permits through the various waves of collection bans. They are restricted from collecting on the west side of the islands and can't use some kinds of nets. Until more environmental impact studies are completed, I think the amount of collection will remain the same. I believe the Hawaiian government is evaluating the information in 2021. For now, collection is consistent but regulated. However, there are still numerous groups pushing for a permanent ban on Hawaiian aquarium fish collecting.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
let me know when the males go back down to the last time i ordered :p so bummed mine bit the dust, the labouts doing well though!

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
let me know when the males go back down to the last time i ordered :p so bummed mine bit the dust, the labouts doing well though!
Will do! We'll place male flames on sale when we have an abundance in stock. Realistically it'll be about 5-6 weeks. We'll be placing 1 stock item on sale each week from now on.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I do have a question for you :) The only down side I see with business is that you have very few fish for sale at any one time ,, can you explain this ,, can we request fish that we are wanting to buy ? I have several fish that I am wanting and I check your site and two other sites multiple times a day ,, really only one other site ,,

One of the other vendors I use ,, I haven't officially removed them from my list ,, but kinda sort of ,, I lost one of the Wrasses I bought from them ,, a high $$ fish ,, at least for me ,, that vendor is now ,, for me ,, most likely won't buy from them again ,,, they have / had a fish that I want ,,, I didn't buy it ,, I had the fish I lost for about 10 days ,, Now I am down to your company and one other ,,

Not sure how this is going to work out for me ,,, my plan now is to not buy fish as soon as they pop up on sites ,, which I did when I bought the fish I lost :( I am going to wait till they have had the fish for sale on their site for at least 10 days ,,,

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Beautiful fish. I have /had a juvenile. Haven't seen it in a few days so I don't know what might have happened to it. It was fine one day, missing the next.

OP
Tide Pool Aquatics

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
I do have a question for you :) The only down side I see with business is that you have very few fish for sale at any one time ,, can you explain this ,, can we request fish that we are wanting to buy ? I have several fish that I am wanting and I check your site and two other sites multiple times a day ,, really only one other site ,,

One of the other vendors I use ,, I haven't officially removed them from my list ,, but kinda sort of ,, I lost one of the Wrasses I bought from them ,, a high $$ fish ,, at least for me ,, that vendor is now ,, for me ,, most likely won't buy from them again ,,, they have / had a fish that I want ,,, I didn't buy it ,, I had the fish I lost for about 10 days ,, Now I am down to your company and one other ,,

Not sure how this is going to work out for me ,,, my plan now is to not buy fish as soon as they pop up on sites ,, which I did when I bought the fish I lost :( I am going to wait till they have had the fish for sale on their site for at least 10 days ,,,
We're working with some new suppliers in the next coming weeks and months to round out our inventory. Most of the fish that are currently listed on the site as sold out will become consistently available. Also, we're bringing in new fish from Christmas Island and Hawaii that we haven't carried before. There will be all sizes of goldflakes(including juveniles), orange tail emperor angels, black hybrid tangs, and kiri triggerfish from Christmas Island. And goldenback triggerfish, small crosshatch, and possibly tinker butterflyfish from the Hawaiian Islands. Lastly, we're working to expand our wrasse inventory to include Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, potter's wrasse, and mystery wrasse.

What fish on the site were you interested in? You can always email us with requests. We can order most of the items on the site for you. Thanks!

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• 90+

• I'll reef until I die