Flame Hawk making it difficult to feed other fish in the tank

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawkfish is currently about an inch bigger than my clownfish (2) and royal gramma. When I feed them I have to resort to all types of trickery so that he doesn’t eat everything I drop in the tank. The flame Hawkfish (Batman, as named by my kids) is super fast and literally flies all around the tank getting most of the food. Although, he’s not a bully at other times, at feeding times he’s big enough to make my other fish move out of the way when he comes swooping in. Let’s just say, Batman is winning the battle. Anyone have a tactic on feeding their less aggressive fish when you have a semi-aggressive fish in the tank?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop the food in front of the powerhead. All my fish went crazy swimming around and hunting down all the food flying around the water. I really think they are having lot of fun. Just remind them what it is in the natural. I spoil them with different varieties of good food, but they have to do their parts as well ;)

It is amazing to see how fast my power brown and my power blue tang swimming in the 200 gal of water hunting down each piece of food. I also have a flame Hwak that keep up with the tangs for hunting down the food.

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 powerheads on each side of the tank. I use to turn them off because that’s what “the Internet” (lol) recommended. I stopped after awhile after my LFS and some in this forum said they leave there’s on. You’re right, it makes it a slight bit more difficult for him to get it all. I’m surprised at just how fast he is. I also have 2 clownfish and depending on how they feel; they may or may not come out of their anemones to eat. They’re so spoiled! Lol!

I gotta go Google this “Kenya tree” you mentioned.
They have been living in it for 5 years now.

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you gotta love Flame Hawks.
This will be my next fish
ZomboMeme 15102020170048.jpg

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back