Flame Hawk making it difficult to feed other fish in the tank

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawkfish is currently about an inch bigger than my clownfish (2) and royal gramma. When I feed them I have to resort to all types of trickery so that he doesn’t eat everything I drop in the tank. The flame Hawkfish (Batman, as named by my kids) is super fast and literally flies all around the tank getting most of the food. Although, he’s not a bully at other times, at feeding times he’s big enough to make my other fish move out of the way when he comes swooping in. Let’s just say, Batman is winning the battle. Anyone have a tactic on feeding their less aggressive fish when you have a semi-aggressive fish in the tank?

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed little bits at a time. Feed alot at once or split into two feedings. He can't possibly eat it all at once. If you feed just a little at a time, he COULD get every bit or close... That's the trick I use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed little bits at a time. Feed alot at once or split into two feedings. He can't possibly eat it all at once. If you feed just a little at a time, he COULD get every bit or close... That's the trick I use.
I honestly think he’s always hungry. He’s continually watching me and following me as I move through the room. I believe he wants to be fed all day. I’ve considered giving him back to the pet store because I want my other fish to eat more than he’s allowing. The tough part about feeding a lot, is my clownfish and gramma are all skittish with him around and they tend to stay away from where he is. My tank is only 32 gallons and he’s all over it like a nfl 1st round draft pick cornerback. His defensive skills are amazing. Lol!!!

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hawk is consuming most of the food, then you aren't feeding enough in my opinion. His stomach can only hold so much. The way we feed is probably wrong from the get go. Fish in the wild have the chance of feeding all day long, then we come along and some of us offer one meal a day. Not the fishes fault he's hungry.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They Feed readily and greedily. Instead of one spot, feed from two or more locations in the tank.
If you’re not aware, eventually they will eat any shrimp in the tank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hawk is consuming most of the food, then you aren't feeding enough in my opinion. His stomach can only hold so much. The way we feed is probably wrong from the get go. Fish in the wild have the chance of feeding all day long, then we come along and some of us offer one meal a day. Not the fishes fault he's hungry.
I feed twice a day but to be honest I try to follow the rules that everyone seems to give on the Internet and also on this forum. Don’t feed for more than 2-3 minutes. Following that rule makes it hard to get fish to all of Batman’s roommates. They get bits and pieces but no where as much as him.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Feed readily and greedily. Instead of one spot, feed from two or more locations in the tank.
mid you’re not aware, eventually they will eat any shrimp in the tank
I try doing that now and you’re right, it does work a little bit. It’s amazing how fast he is. As soon as he figures out I’m feeding from two spots, he changes up the game and starts flying all over the tank. It’s crazy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you feeding and how are you feeding?
I feed Rod’s Foods original blend. I have an eye dropper. I feed in the front and hurry up and put food in the back. I try to move around the tank quickly in order to get food to the other fish but he picks up on the game quickly.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Rod’s Foods original blend. I have an eye dropper. I feed in the front and hurry up and put food in the back. I try to move around the tank quickly in order to get food to the other fish but he picks up on the game quickly.
lose the eyedropper.
graduate to a turkey baster.
add R.O.E. to the food mix. no way hawkie gets it all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turkey baster allows for quicker/larger dispersement over an eye dropper.
R.O.E.
https://reefnutrition.com/products/roe
Aaaaaah! Makes sense! I have the turkey Bastet but only used it for blowing the sand. Thx!

I always see R.O.E. at my LFS but never knew what it was. Are you saying use this because it breaks up enough to provide enough to get to all the fish in the tank?

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaah! Makes sense! I have the turkey Bastet but only used it for blowing the sand. Thx!

I always see R.O.E. at my LFS but never knew what it was. Are you saying use this because it breaks up enough to provide enough to get to all the fish in the tank?
R.O.E. is individual eggs in high concentration.
you won't need to break it up.
start with a teaspoon mixed in with your other food.
fish love it. corals love it.

Upvote 0

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a hawkfish back to my LFS - he was bullying everyone in the tank, now everyone is getting along great! Some fish (like people) are just jerks :)...you can fix or you can't - it's all a roll of the dice ....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a hawkfish back to my LFS - he was bullying everyone in the tank, now everyone is getting along great! Some fish (like people) are just jerks :)...you can fix or you can't - it's all a roll of the dice ....
That’s too funny! Fortunately, mine isn’t as bullyish outside of feeding time. He’s not personally my favorite fish in the tank but my children will not let me take him back to the fish store. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have powerheads in your tank? My Hawk does the same thing but with my wavemaker I have food swirling around all parts of the tank, my clowns just hang out in their Kenya Tree and wait for the food to come to them which it does.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have powerheads in your tank? My Hawk does the same thing but with my wavemaker I have food swirling around all parts of the tank, my clowns just hang out in their Kenya Tree and wait for the food to come to them which it does.
I have 2 powerheads on each side of the tank. I use to turn them off because that’s what “the Internet” (lol) recommended. I stopped after awhile after my LFS and some in this forum said they leave there’s on. You’re right, it makes it a slight bit more difficult for him to get it all. I’m surprised at just how fast he is. I also have 2 clownfish and depending on how they feel; they may or may not come out of their anemones to eat. They’re so spoiled! Lol!

I gotta go Google this “Kenya tree” you mentioned.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back