Flame Hawk With Cleaner Shrimp Antennae Stuck In Mouth

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my cleaner shrimp dead and the clown and the flame hawks were picking at it. One of my hawks got an antennae stuck in his mouth. Is this anything to worry about? I tried getting it out of his mouth but he keeps swimming away. I figure he will eventually drop it but if anybody thinks I need to intervene let me know and I will try to remove it.

IMG_3451.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noticed my cleaner shrimp dead and the clown and the flame hawks were picking at it. One of my hawks got an antennae stuck in his mouth. Is this anything to worry about? I tried getting it out of his mouth but he keeps swimming away. I figure he will eventually drop it but if anybody thinks I need to intervene let me know and I will try to remove it.

IMG_3451.jpg
He should be able to expel. Also trying to net it may force him to spit it out.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went back to the tank to look at him and it's not in his mouth anymore so he either dropped it or slurped it up like a piece of spaghetti. I want to believe he slurped it up like spaghetti. That would be more fun.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea glad he is ok.

You do know that shrimp are the Flame Hawks main diet yes?

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea glad he is ok.

You do know that shrimp are the Flame Hawks main diet yes?
Yeah I know. My flame hawks have been in the tank for over a month with the cleaner shrimp. Never bothered it. I don't think they killed the shrimp though. Just pecked at it after it died. When I was doing my research most people didn't seem to have issues with flame hawks and cleaner shrimp.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know. My flame hawks have been in the tank for over a month with the cleaner shrimp. Never bothered it. I don't think they killed the shrimp though. Just pecked at it after it died. When I was doing my research most people didn't seem to have issues with flame hawks and cleaner shrimp.

Understood.
Yea I sumped my three shrimp when I got my Flame.
So I don't know if my guy would have gone after them.
I rarely saw the shrimp in the tank anyway so was not a big deal.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.
Yea I sumped my three shrimp when I got my Flame.
So I don't know if my guy would have gone after them.
I rarely saw the shrimp in the tank anyway so was not a big deal.
I can't say I'm too sad about it although I would have preferred it didn't happen. The shrimp didn't do much but steal food from my corals anyway. Oh well. He did add some nice diversity to the tank but not worth trying to fight him away from the corals trying to eat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3451.jpg

I love flame hawks, what a character. I wouldn;t put it passed him, if he did it, he would deny it. lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back