Flame Hawkfish Coloration

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF5EC82A-18F5-484D-8551-628C087B1FEC.jpeg

So I got a flame Hawkfish out of QT a couple weeks ago but it’s coloration has continued to sort of be pale on its underside. I’m wondering if it’s just due to stress or malnutrition because the fish is eating perfectly fine, is very active all day, and yet it continues to look drab in comparison to the vibrantly red Hawkfish I’ve seen before.

It’s also literally the only thing in my 125 gallon as I haven’t even seen a hair of algae grow yet so I’m wondering what could be causing it pale. Any help or potential causes I should look out for?

also the spots aren’t ich that’s just dust on the aquarium glass. hard to get a good picture of them.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he that color when you purchased him or has the coloration faded since brought it home?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lack of algae won't cause this directly, but if the tank is stark white, many fish will lighten in coloration. What did you treat it with while it was in QT?

Jay

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that when I first got it too. Then it came back. I believe it’s just a stress response, in this case because of the new environment.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lack of algae won't cause this directly, but if the tank is stark white, many fish will lighten in coloration. What did you treat it with while it was in QT?

Jay
I see. The tanks more or less completely white atm. During QT I mostly watched but I did try the copper bath treatment for around thirty days. The worst was him gasping at the surface of the water during the first week but that was likely due to ammonia and I did many rigorous water changes to the QT tank and he hasn't done it since.

I'm wondering if it could be malnourishment maybe? I feed him around half an inch of Rod's Food every morning but I also had Hikari brine shrimp I've been meaning to try out. The tanks been cycled too but I suppose its also relatively new. There aren't any major red flags as far as behavior goes and I've been testing nitrates and they seem to be in line. So, not sure.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that when I first got it too. Then it came back. I believe it’s just a stress response, in this case because of the new environment.
How long did it take to clear up? My flame has been in there for three or so weeks atm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. The tanks more or less completely white atm. During QT I mostly watched but I did try the copper bath treatment for around thirty days. The worst was him gasping at the surface of the water during the first week but that was likely due to ammonia and I did many rigorous water changes to the QT tank and he hasn't done it since.

I'm wondering if it could be malnourishment maybe? I feed him around half an inch of Rod's Food every morning but I also had Hikari brine shrimp I've been meaning to try out. The tanks been cycled too but I suppose its also relatively new. There aren't any major red flags as far as behavior goes and I've been testing nitrates and they seem to be in line. So, not sure.
You should feed it twice a day, and if it takes in all the food you offer, you should give it some more. There are foods on the market that can enhance red coloration in fish, through added carotenes - Omega Super color pellets is one.

Jay

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only took like 2 days. But maybe it is related to that super white sand too like someone else said. Cuz 3 weeks seems like a long time.
1616367639632.gif

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should feed it twice a day, and if it takes in all the food you offer, you should give it some more. There are foods on the market that can enhance red coloration in fish, through added carotenes - Omega Super color pellets is one.

Jay
I see. Thank you. I'll try that out.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only took like 2 days. But maybe it is related to that super white sand too like someone else said. Cuz 3 weeks seems like a long time.
1616367639632.gif
Think I haven't been feeding him enough so I'll try that. But also the tanks been strangely white for a while and I dunno why I would've thought I'd have algae by now tbh.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, monitor your parameters and let the fish be your guide. If he eats well and behaves normally, then don't fret. If he shows signs of lethargy or gasping, etc... There is a problem.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back