Flame Hawkfish lying on side

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

About a week ago this behaviour started.

I have a Flame Hawkfish that has been lying on his side near and sometimes under some rocks. He would come out for feeding, but after a short period would retreat to a similar position.

I noticed that he was breathing a little heavy, but I am not sure if I still notice that behavior. I tried feeding with frozen food that had been soaked with kanaplex and neoplex.
His fins look intact, and his colouration is mostly normal, perhaps a little white towards the belly.

Are there any recommendations on how to narrow down what may be the issue? I thought about trying to catch him and put him either a quarantine cage or a hospital tank.

thanks!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

About a week ago this behaviour started.

I have a Flame Hawkfish that has been lying on his side near and sometimes under some rocks. He would come out for feeding, but after a short period would retreat to a similar position.

I noticed that he was breathing a little heavy, but I am not sure if I still notice that behavior. I tried feeding with frozen food that had been soaked with kanaplex and neoplex.
His fins look intact, and his colouration is mostly normal, perhaps a little white towards the belly.

Are there any recommendations on how to narrow down what may be the issue? I thought about trying to catch him and put him either a quarantine cage or a hospital tank.

thanks!!!
Was he quarantined? How long have you had him? Fast breathing? Other affected fish? I would think putting him in a hospital tank would be a good idea - or at least having one ready. One problem with trying to give kanaplex and neoplex (and by the way - you should not really use the 2 togethers) is giving a proper dose. Also - not sure there is an indication for those antibiotics at this time.

PS - the reason not to use them together is that they are very close cousins. Both are amino glycoside antibiotics that treat basically the same bacteria.

PPS - the best way to help us help you is by answering the questions in the link provided by @fishguy242

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish love to sit crooked, head down and all sorts if positions. They also prefer to perch rather than swim constantly. I think it has to do with the fact they don't have air bladders. As a result they are very entertaining. Please!supply a video so we can confirm if he has a problem.

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

thanks for the quick responses.
I have had the fish for almost a year. He has been healthy this entire time, swimming and perching.

Recently I did have a staghorn damsel in the tank that seemed to be very dominant and a little aggressive. I figured he may be stressed and was hiding. The Damsel has since been relocated from that tank and I will say all the other fish seem "happier".

I will try to get video so you can see the behavior a little clearer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need pics and/or video under white lighting for best assessment

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back