Flame scallop feeding frequency

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to get a flame scallop for my 14 gallon biocube. I read for hours on articles that these guys die because of starvation, so I am determined to not let em starve. I have a 16 OZ bottle of Julian Springs Marine snow, and a 16 oz bottle of Phycopure reef blend. I spot feed him the reef blend and just take out my filter and put in marine snow to let him cycle it out of the water collum.

I have two questions though-
Does anybody with flame scallop experience believe phycopure reef blend will actually get eaten? Lots of plankton in it, I know that.

Two: HOW OFTEN DO I FEED HIM?

(perfect health, so far.)
image.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple times a day. I have never kept them, but they are like those hard to keep nps filter feeder that require multiple feedings. It is best to use doser or something of that sort.
This also poses significant challenge in maintaining decent water chemistry, as more feeding will pollute the water faster.

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do remember this discussion was not about the actual record of flame scallops, and that it was about how much should I feel exactly? I'm already feeding up to 6 times a day using disperse method with reef blend and marine snow.

So it was more about how much do I feed the scallop the most without polluting my tank instantly? I don't worry about pollution TOO MUCH as I only have soft corals, clownfish, macroalgae, and featherdusters and other small inverts like trochus and nassarius snails and hermits.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is going to be very tricky maintaining adequate feeding and not polluting your tank. You can get a dosing pump and position the airline tubing facing the scallop. You can put the doser on a timer and dose 5-7x per 24hr period.

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few DIY instructions to dose from a mini-fridge. If you only keep a daily supply connected to the doser then you wouldn't need the fridge, but it would be more work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back