OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there is always one or two. Sounds like a plan!

Just read through your build thread. Tank looks great! I've contemplated adding a small regal angel but an worried about nipping on some of my LPS. Any issues with yours?

The LPS in the tank now haven’t been touched. I had an open brain and acans in the tank before, and had to remove them because the potters angel was nipping them. I think any of the more “fluffy” LPS are fair game but euphyllia seem ok.

Edit to add. Clams are a hard “NO” though, my first regal nipped at the one I had but this one went from nipping to tearing out chunks.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The LPS in the tank now haven’t been touched. I had an open brain and acans in the tank before, and had to remove them because the potters angel was nipping them. I think any of the more “fluffy” LPS are fair game but euphyllia seem ok.
Yeah I may get rid of the couple of lobo I have. I have a few torches and hammers which should be fine but also a really big Aussie duncan colony that should be ok as well.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may get rid of the couple of lobo I have. I have a few torches and hammers which should be fine but also a really big Aussie duncan colony that should be ok as well.

Could always just see what it does. It seems like they “try” things before really getting aggressive with eating them. Even the clam was able to recover and be rehoused.

I just took them out at the first sign that they were being irritated or the angels were paying special attention to them. Except the clam, because it didn’t seem to too upset at first... but when the regal came up with a mouth full of bysal threads I was like “OooK, that’s enough...” lol

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could always just see what it does. It seems like they “try” things before really getting aggressive with eating them. Even the clam was able to recover and be rehoused.

I just took them out at the first sign that they were being irritated or the angels were paying special attention to them. Except the clam, because it didn’t seem to too upset at first... but when the regal came up with a mouth full of bysal threads I was like “OooK, that’s enough...” lol
Good idea. Thanks!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly could be the angel, and you're in the best position to know. If I was to blindly guess based on the list though, I'd point at the pintail or the clowns.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly could be the angel, and you're in the best position to know. If I was to blindly guess based on the list though, I'd point at the pintail or the clowns.

I know Jordani are pretty low on the totem pole as far as wrasse temperaments go... it seems like no matter who he is with, he’s always taking a beating. I’ve rehomed several fish now to try to keep him healthy.

Any ideas? He’s very obviously too tame for his own good... nothing spooks him, he’s not afraid of me or any other fish, but he doesn’t fight back either.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas? He’s very obviously too tame for his own good... nothing spooks him, he’s not afraid of me or any other fish, but he doesn’t fight back either.
Feed him spinach? lol; sorry - wish I had a something useful!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... well, thanks anyway. I might add a little more rock and see if that helps, not holding my breath though lol
What about putting your #1 suspect in qt and seeing if the beatings stop? You may be able to narrow down the suspect list

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about putting your #1 suspect in qt and seeing if the beatings stop?

I could do that, but I would have to get my second QT cleaned up first. I have live rock in my other QT running 76 days... don’t want to give them a host [emoji12]

I’m also little nervous about QT’ing the regal again for any significant amount of time now that he’s settled in and eating so well.

These guys can get stressed easily and just stop eating, it took a couple failures to get this one and he’s doing great...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do that, but I would have to get my second QT cleaned up first. I have live rock in my other QT running 76 days... don’t want to give them a host [emoji12]

I’m also little nervous about QT’ing the regal again for any significant amount of time now that he’s settled in and eating so well.

These guys can get stressed easily and just stop eating, it took a couple failures to get this one and he’s doing great...
My only other suggestion would be to start a new build thread;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only other suggestion would be to start a new build thread;Shamefullyembarrased

Haha... We just got rid of two tanks. One was a nem tank though, so he could have been an expensive snack there[emoji31]

Trying to simplify life a bit.

I’ll probably try adding more rock first, seems like the most benefit and least stress to me and the fishies.

He doesn’t seem to be in imminent danger, the wounds are mostly superficial. Just doesn’t look the prettiest...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... We just got rid of two tanks. One was a nem tank though, so he could have been an expensive snack there[emoji31]

Trying to simplify life a bit.

I’ll probably try adding more rock first, seems like the most benefit and least stress to me and the fishies.

He doesn’t seem to be in imminent danger, the wounds are mostly superficial. Just doesn’t look the prettiest...
Hopefully it works out!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back