Flampton's shallow 57 has now become wet wet wet

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well going to finally start a build thread. First background... I'm a research scientist who currently studies human pathogens, focusing on antibiotic resistance mechanisms. However I'm really considering moving into making bacterial products for the reefing community. Just gathering ideas right now on that. So if you have any bacterial questions feel free to ask.

I just moved from Gainesville, FL to Flagstaff, AZ (basically sea level to 7050ft above) and decided now is the perfect time to get back into reefing after a ten+ year break. Why is now the perfect time? Well my gf isn't moving here until December. So yeah I can get through all the intro mess without ruffling any feathers. Especially because I'm in a one bedroom apartment. One bedroom because we're trying to cut down on the extras and go more minimalist, and we love the view from the front porch.
B0B7A0E6-D915-4BF8-9790-280B669A5386.jpeg

Okay boring stuff over... Let's get this back on the road.

Tank is a 57 gallon Fiji Cube with the dimensions of 36 x 24 x 16. It's a beautiful tank, ten times better than my former 50 gallon breeder. I can't believe how much room two feet of width brings. Everything went fine with the shipping of the tank except they gave me the wrong doors for the cabinet :D which isn't really a big deal since it doesn't stop me from getting it wet. So here is the first tank pic...
F06AE254-5E1D-451F-BEBA-6BD45A4D882A.jpeg

Haha you can see how excited I was getting it together because I was throwing the doors up without even noticing the problem until I closed them for the first time. That was def an embarrassing moment and I was by myself! I should mention the seams on this tank are just top notch. You'll get more pics later on as things come together.

The sump is also Fiji Cube. It's the 24 inch model. I'll talk more about that guy next time but again it's excellent quality.

Okay so let's now shift to scape. I had a picture in my mind for weeks. I got together 40lbs of Marco, Marco cement and a bunch of tubes off super glue and went to town. Here is what I am going with. Please feel free to critique at will.
977DCE58-5238-4FA1-BF6B-20FA1A0AD7BE.jpeg

As it's a shallow you need the top down view as well.

F6FB5D80-FB50-4310-91C6-6ED67DDE7C03.jpeg

Okay let's leave that as the first post. Next time will talk equipment, reefing philosophy, and hopefully the first pictures of the tank wet.

Peace my friends and thank you for reading this far

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay waiting on some plumbing parts to come in this week so thought I'd post some more pics of the aquarium build quality, sump and ATO container.

Nice seams and 12mm glass for a shallow 57!
05E1BDC5-60A7-4F71-AB01-7825633DC606.jpeg
here is the nice thin overflow box that connects to the external overflow. (Sorry this pic is weak sauce)
I
631833BB-450E-4C9F-B26A-66C988C8A8FC.jpeg

Here is the external overflow, and also showing off that lovely transition cement. What do people do about this?

668A79A0-D77F-40E1-87B3-5FA058D71573.jpeg

Okay here is some sump shots. I really like the setup of this guy.

84B30D31-73EE-4058-B06D-EB287EE9FD05.jpeg

88741233-1D02-488C-A4B0-A49393546599.jpeg
3127B088-0BBA-44DC-836C-79D920AE0793.jpeg
B2C1DF4E-22A5-4629-98A8-89CB527D2E7D.jpeg
5902790A-AE12-4CFE-9CEC-07D326F9EA6E.jpeg

So as you can see I have this setup with the filter floss compartment. It does come with a sock attachment as well. It has heater holders, dosing holders, probe holders and adjustable water level for the skimmer and refugium compartment

Finally the ridiculously nice glass ATO with low iron glass. Though this is really nice Id trade for a acrylic one, as I am contemplating putting the container on wheels so I can roll it the rodi setup.

681E527B-8435-4E82-8E9C-8E47A8D43853.jpeg

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay it has truly begun... The tank is wet, I repeat the tank is wet. Let's get to some nice pictures then...
89BFB6E5-4B6B-451F-B112-B571722F5D6D.jpeg

here's the obligatory FTS. You can see the final aquascape from the front. I'm running two ice cap2k gyres. I'm loving them. I have seachem badge for another project I'm working on but couldn't help to check the new tank. I'm processing 2ppm overnight so I'm good.

Okay let's look at the right side
33EAFFD5-ABC3-48BE-AC54-92E95DB36163.jpeg

And now the left side
BC0EFD54-22BE-4532-9232-4475837DCF1A.jpeg

I just love this aquascape. First time running dry rock so got to arrange it how I really wanted it.

If you have any questions please let me know!

As the tank is cycled I placed an order with ipsf for some goodies. Unfortunately a two week wait. So I'll see you then...same bat time same bat channel.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow,looks awesome love the scape,rocking it ,along for the ride ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol i see a purple + in there ;)

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow,looks awesome love the scape,rocking it ,along for the ride ;)
Thanks! We will see how it progresses. New to the dry rock start but really wanted a good looking scape and not a pile of rocks. I am implementing counter measures by utilizing ipsf to get the goodness. I hate sterile tanks with no life. Give me the bugs and worms all day!

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is ipsf?

Great looking tank.
It's a interesting operation in Hawaii. Basically they're bug and slime guys for your reef tank. They have lots of different ways to add diversity to your tank.

Check out ipsf.com

Very old school web page but you'll get the gist ;)

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along for the ride! Contemplating a shallow tank to grow mangroves in the rear area. I’m torn between FIJI and Waterbox.
Well that sounds cool! My decision revolved around two factors.
1. Metric versus standard plumbing. Fiji Cube comes with standard plumbing parts, waterbox utilizes metric fittings.
2. Fiji Cube comes with a acrylic sump, that is considerably more useful than Waterbox. First is it doesn't waste space with a small reservoir (a separate reservoir comes with it) . It's acrylic and thus you can accidently drop something without worry. It has adjustable baffle heights. You can use socks or filter floss. You can upgrade. My system normally ships with a 20 inch sump. I wanted the 24 inch and that was no problem for them.

One downside is you'll have to know how to plumb or learn because the Fiji Cube does not use a premade plumbing system. This was beneficial for me because I want to decide where the sump is in the stand.

Let me know if you have any questions :D

JDadX3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up! I didn't even consider the plumbing was in metric. Good point on the sump as well, the ATO in the waterbox I wouldn't have used as well. Not to mention, the Fiji is a little cheaper. Are you happy with the 57 size? I was contemplating buying the Kessil AP9x for the 3 footer.

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dimensions. This is my first two foot wide tank and I'll never go back. I like the length for my current apartment but will likely go longer for tangs after I get a larger place. ( though I'm getting a small kole for this tank...shhh).

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Along for the ride.
Was just up in Flag a cpl weeks ago on a camping trip at the base of snowbowl.
Be sure to check out the summer nature observational ski lift ride if you get some free time. Oh yeah skiing as well.

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, love the scape man

Thanks! I'm digging it. Of course you don't see the problems until they happen. For one I have to be real careful about placement. I place an acro up top and it'll only have four inches of room. However with a shallow I can grow them anywhere I want.

Awesome. Along for the ride.
Was just up in Flag a cpl weeks ago on a camping trip at the base of snowbowl.
Be sure to check out the summer nature observational ski lift ride if you get some free time. Oh yeah skiing as well.

Loving it so far! I'll check out the ski lift at Snowbowl. Thinking about getting a pair of skis too but haven't been downhill in over 20 years.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm digging it. Of course you don't see the problems until they happen. For one I have to be real careful about placement. I place an acro up top and it'll only have four inches of room. However with a shallow I can grow them anywhere I want.

Loving it so far! I'll check out the ski lift at Snowbowl. Thinking about getting a pair of skis too but haven't been downhill in over 20 years.
Its like riding a bike they say haha thats what I kept telling my 43 yr old body last time.
Grew up in the snow in New England and really miss the seasons though.
Would love to find the right job up there id move tomorrow. Beautiful spot your in!

DanamJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well going to finally start a build thread. First background... I'm a research scientist who currently studies human pathogens, focusing on antibiotic resistance mechanisms. However I'm really considering moving into making bacterial products for the reefing community. Just gathering ideas right now on that. So if you have any bacterial questions feel free to ask.

I just moved from Gainesville, FL to Flagstaff, AZ (basically sea level to 7050ft above) and decided now is the perfect time to get back into reefing after a ten+ year break. Why is now the perfect time? Well my gf isn't moving here until December. So yeah I can get through all the intro mess without ruffling any feathers. Especially because I'm in a one bedroom apartment. One bedroom because we're trying to cut down on the extras and go more minimalist, and we love the view from the front porch.
B0B7A0E6-D915-4BF8-9790-280B669A5386.jpeg

Okay boring stuff over... Let's get this back on the road.

Tank is a 57 gallon Fiji Cube with the dimensions of 36 x 24 x 16. It's a beautiful tank, ten times better than my former 50 gallon breeder. I can't believe how much room two feet of width brings. Everything went fine with the shipping of the tank except they gave me the wrong doors for the cabinet :D which isn't really a big deal since it doesn't stop me from getting it wet. So here is the first tank pic...
F06AE254-5E1D-451F-BEBA-6BD45A4D882A.jpeg

Haha you can see how excited I was getting it together because I was throwing the doors up without even noticing the problem until I closed them for the first time. That was def an embarrassing moment and I was by myself! I should mention the seams on this tank are just top notch. You'll get more pics later on as things come together.

The sump is also Fiji Cube. It's the 24 inch model. I'll talk more about that guy next time but again it's excellent quality.

Okay so let's now shift to scape. I had a picture in my mind for weeks. I got together 40lbs of Marco, Marco cement and a bunch of tubes off super glue and went to town. Here is what I am going with. Please feel free to critique at will.
977DCE58-5238-4FA1-BF6B-20FA1A0AD7BE.jpeg

As it's a shallow you need the top down view as well.

F6FB5D80-FB50-4310-91C6-6ED67DDE7C03.jpeg

Okay let's leave that as the first post. Next time will talk equipment, reefing philosophy, and hopefully the first pictures of the tank wet.

Peace my friends and thank you for reading this far
Nice work. Did you build that seascape all by yourself?

DanamJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DanamJohn
Nope! I had someone helping me. Btw welcome to r2r!

Wait a second don't I know you from somewhere? Could you be my lovely girlfriend who helped with this scape? Cause she's the best ;)
;):cool: She does sound pretty amazing, you’re a super lucky dude!

Back