Flasher or fairy wrasse with a yellow coris wrasse?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris wrasse in my 60g and I want to add one of the smaller flasher or fairy wrasses but I am concerned about possible aggression? Would there be a problem?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use an acclimation box anytime you add a wrasse to an existing wrasse but I've found H. chrysus to be one the most mild mannered wrasses. I would expect it to ignore the fairy wrasse but you never know....that's why you use the acclimation box.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some new opinions on this the yellow coris is still very small so if I take a same sized rubeus or some flasher wrasse would they fight? Does the different genus and color help?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had an established Melanurus, I would be more worried, but Yellows are pretty mild mannered in general, so I would say your odds of success with either are pretty good.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had an established Melanurus, I would be more worried, but Yellows are pretty mild mannered in general, so I would say your odds of success with either are pretty good.
The yellow is also pretty small still like imagine those little cb clowns add .5 in and thats him. So should I look for a dame sized one or bigger?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any fairy or flasher wrasse will do just fine. If you don’t have any aggressive tank mates you shouldn’t need to use an acclimation box with the yellow being that small.
Here are my fairy’s, flasher and yellow all swimming together. My yellow is as large as some of the fairies and does harass them every once in awhile.
E9CC1170-43FF-41FE-B6CA-772E9E041CDE.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine together. But you never know with fish. Check out the Lubbocks Fairy. Love mine. Great colors.
Mine was such a bully lol. Every new addition my lubbocki would chase around the tank, even with an acclimation box. Learned my lesson with an H. iridus(much more skittish than a yellow so probably wont be an issue here) that went down my overflow to escape.

Philip Haddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any fairy or flasher wrasse will do just fine. If you don’t have any aggressive tank mates you shouldn’t need to use an acclimation box with the yellow being that small.
Here are my fairy’s, flasher and yellow all swimming together. My yellow is as large as some of the fairies and does harass them every once in awhile.
What are your other fish that you have in there? Great looking tank and fish!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some new opinions on this the yellow coris is still very small so if I take a same sized rubeus or some flasher wrasse would they fight? Does the different genus and color help?
Rubeus is a fairy (Cirrhilabrus) wrasse; flashers are of the Paracheilinus genus. Either genus can potentially live alongside a Halichoeres, but not all species are necessarily equal.
You'll find this helpful:
Pretty much any fairy or flasher wrasse will do just fine.
Well, that depends on the size of their tank - some larger species may not be suitable.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would introducing a pair or trio to my 60g help my sucess odds with my yellow coris in the tank is 4 wrasses too much?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would introducing a pair or trio to my 60g help my sucess odds with my yellow coris in the tank is 4 wrasses too much?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should add a single fairy or flasher wrasse then I should not have any problems?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would 3 yellow assessors or 3 chromis be a better choice than 1 fairy or flasher wrasse? Any way I could mix any of these with my yellow coris and each other?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow coris is pretty dang peaceful, i think you're overthinking this one a bit. flasher/chromis/assessors should all be fine. if you add another wrasse i'd recommend an acclimation box like evolved always does. i added a red line wrasse and then a week later added a yellow coris and there was some light hazing from the red line. something i'm guessing a day or so in an acclimation box could've prevented.

i've never seen my yellow coris ever start anything with another fish in my tank, even fish that have gone in after she did.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should add a single fairy or flasher wrasse then I should not have any problems?
Single of any particular species, yes - but you can mix multiple species.
would 3 yellow assessors or 3 chromis be a better choice than 1 fairy or flasher wrasse? Any way I could mix any of these with my yellow coris and each other?
I'm not sure if I can comment on what's "better", but any of those options should be okay. A fairy and/or a flasher would be fine too.
yellow coris is pretty dang peaceful, i think you're overthinking this one a bit.
Agree - short of adding an aggressive species with it, it's pretty hard to go wrong here.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single of any particular species, yes - but you can mix multiple species.

I'm not sure if I can comment on what's "better", but any of those options should be okay. A fairy and/or a flasher would be fine too.

Agree - short of adding an aggressive species with it, it's pretty hard to go wrong here.
Would adding a flasher wrasse and yellow assessors/chromis create a conflict in teems of both being zooplankton feeders? If not then I think I have all the info I need.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a flasher wrasse and yellow assessors/chromis create a conflict in teems of both being zooplankton feeders?
Provided you're feeding sufficiently, no. Feed small amounts 2-3 times a day, and you'll be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back