Flasher wrasse breathing heavy after adding carbon with prazipro

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've had this flasher in QT for just over 2 months now. He's gone through 30+ days of copper power and this was the end of his second dose of prazi. He has not had any visible illnesses or any sort of reactions or adverse effects to any of these treatments. However, in prep for the final dose of prazi, i added a decent amount of carbon (BRS Bituminous) and topped off the tank(added about half a gallon of rodi, and the same water as prior days). About 10 mins later, I went in to feed him some mysis (His absolute favorite food) and he turned it down, which I thought was odd. Then about five mins later, I found him breathing rapidly and pushed up in the corner of the tank. I quickly did a 20% WC and he immediately came out from hiding and no more than ten mins later was breathing as if nothing ever happened and picking at the mysis he didn't eat before (This all happened today at about 11 am and he is still fine rn). Did I make a mistake adding the carbon? Was there some reaction between the remaining prazi and the carbon? I used this same stuff in my DT just 3 days ago and no bad effects.
(Sorry for the poor quality video, for some reason it's much different on YT than my phone)
1620788700459.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any negative reaction between prazi and carbon. Did you rinse the carbon first? I'm not sure of all the chemical changes that can occur when you add carbon, especially a decent amount in a small tank. pH rises are common, and I've "heard" that it can lower the dissolved oxygen levels, but I've never tested that myself.

Jay

OP
OP
mochaclownlover

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I did rinse it first. The possibility of lower dissolved O2 or pH change sounds like it may have been the issue then( I added about ~5-6 teaspoons, while it was only recommended at 1 teaspoon per 4gals and the QT is only a 10). So most likely I just added too much carbon. Thank you for your help!

Back