Flashing and sideways lying yoyo-loach

eligri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

For the last 3 days one of my yoyo-loaches (large adult) has been occasionally lying docile in a cave, sideways. Then he comes out and acts completely normal. He is however increasingly frequently flashing on objects around the tank. Not constantly, but in shifts rather frequently; enough to notice it several times after watching him for 15 min. Yesterday he only flashed in his cave, now he flashes everywhere. He is also chasing the other yoyo-loach around the tank, and "yawning" with his mouth/puffing out his small mouth spikes once every few mins.

None of the other fish are frequently flashing (maybe once or twice if I observe them over several hours, but never repeatedly). There are no signs of ich. Latest addition was 2 albino pleco's on march 15th, so ich surely would have spread by now.

Ammonia at 0.
125-130 gallon tank. 25-40% waterchanges weekly. Good filtration. No carbon/meds. Decently planted. Temp at 25-26C.

What could this be? What should I do? Would prefer not treating for ich unless that is the problem.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, he is very active between his docile periods. Almost as if he is sleeping then wakes up. He moves normally, other than the flashing. He chases food, and eats well. No abnormal behaviour other than flashing, and lying sideways when sleeping (heard lying sideways is normal for yoyo-loaches).

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but not real familiar with freshwater fish diseases anymore...but flashing can be a symptom of many things besides just ich. I see that this thread is a couple weeks old...hopefully someone was able to help and the fish has been ok.

OP
OP
E

eligri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but not real familiar with freshwater fish diseases anymore...but flashing can be a symptom of many things besides just ich. I see that this thread is a couple weeks old...hopefully someone was able to help and the fish has been ok.
Fish is doing well. Almost certain it's due to aggression. One of the other ones started doing it shortly after he did, and it looks like they're having a power struggle. Luckily it's a big tank with lots of hiding spots, so they can hide.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back