flashing fish

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple of fish, or at least one for sure, that is flashing. the flashing is a bit more than just maybe micro bubbles or something like that, but i have not ruled that out either. worse case scenario, i think it might be fluke.
none of the fish have any ich type of spots at all. the fish that is flashing the most is a bi color angel, so his blue body would make it quite easy to see for the most part, and i see nothing visually wrong. in fact, they act as normal as they have always, including their diets.

he is a bit hard to catch, so when i do, i am going to freshwater dip to see if anything comes out/off.

i plan on getting some prazipro, just to have on hand for things like this anyway, as well as a couple other fish meds, in case something comes up

ive never had fish that have value, so i want them to survive, but dont want to do anything detrimental to hurt the others, or just do anything for the sake of trying to fix something that isnt a big deal anyway. (im a worry wart)

i guess my question is, should i dose the whole tank with prazi pro (i plan on upgrading my tank in the near future, as soon as i finish the tank stand.), or should i maybe use a quarantine type of method and do it individually for those being affected? i would hate for the prazipro (or other meds) to kill the beings in the tank just by adding it (i do have corals and inverts also).

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flukes will cause a twitching head. You don't really see ick, you see where they have been eating if it's on the body. Also, his gills could be infected more so.
If the fish is scrapping body against objects, it's most likely to be ick.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i have read, the white spots would indicate where the parasite is, as it gets under the scales to feed, until they fall off of course. this fish has been flashing for a week or two now, so i would suspect that i would see some signs of ick if they have burrowed at any point. he does however, twitch his head also.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly, the fish's body doesn't mean gills aren't infected. If he doesn't have ick, all the better. The problem could most likely just be flukes. It's up to you on how you want to use prazipro. Many have used it in their mixed reefs. I don't know about sps tanks though.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the fish's body doesn't mean gills aren't infected. If he doesn't have ick, all the better. The problem could most likely just be flukes. It's up to you on how you want to use prazipro. Many have used it in their mixed reefs. I don't know about sps tanks though.
i only have 2 corals at the moment. some zoas and a hammer coral, so assuming what everyone else has had for experience, i should hopefully, be ok with it. however, i am going to wait until i can try to catch him to see what i can do via freshwater dip before i start medicating right away.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have 2 corals at the moment. some zoas and a hammer coral, so assuming what everyone else has had for experience, i should hopefully, be ok with it. however, i am going to wait until i can try to catch him to see what i can do via freshwater dip before i start medicating right away.
You will really only see one species of fluke after a FW dip, the others are too small to see without a microscope. Under good aeration, you should be able to dose your DT with prazipro and not harm your invertebrates (except possibly feather dusters).
Jay

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will really only see one species of fluke after a FW dip, the others are too small to see without a microscope. Under good aeration, you should be able to dose your DT with prazipro and not harm your invertebrates (except possibly feather dusters).
Jay
great. thanks. other than a zoa and a hammer coral, the only inverts that i have are a cleaner shrimp, snails, and some small hermits, so sounds like i should be ok.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back