Flashing Orange: An Attempt at an ULM Clown Harem Tank

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 Update:
They are loving the flow and have all clustered together swimming against one of my powerheads. Some of them seem to of found the anemones and have tried hosting but seem to give up. Eating well, love SA hatchery feed and some frozen mysis soaked in selcon and garlic. No fighting yet!
As some of you may know, I am a student and so studying comes first for me. I will try my best to do quick daily updates and a video once or twice a week, but please don't kill me if I miss a few :D;).
Thanks for following along fro the ride!
MSB

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip :)
If you aren't committed to spending a ton on food, a clown harem isn't for you :D
Calculating it out, if I continue to feed as I am currently, I will be spending about $10 a week on dry food, and that will only increase as they grow. Ugh.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found out where my shrimp like to hang out- under my Anenome! It’s a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint! Added them about a month ago and haven’t seen them until now!
Sorry for the crappy pic- they don’t like the flash
1991B9B0-9658-43CA-80ED-10E0A826599E.jpeg 8EDF55A4-EDD8-4B9C-BBAA-C4D8EE8A1AAC.jpeg 7E9A84C0-9091-4B6E-A316-CA6B2C8B5851.jpeg

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like! Like! Like!
Thanks! It’s looking really good so far!
Day 3 update:
EVERYONE IS DOING WELL TOGETHER!
I have a few large anenomes coming in next week! I really love the shimmer from the kessils and the way the light bounces off the water. The clowns did show some signs of ich (small white on skin), but after uping the up to 24 hrs a day yesterday afternoon, the symptoms are gone. I will be observing closely for the next few weeks.
There is one clown who seems to be the dominant one, A misbar and also the darkest one. Average size compared to the rest, but is always out in front on the group when they are feeding of swimming against the flow. I hope this bodes well with the other misbars and that they are accepted into the group.
they also seem to be totally ok with the Longhorn cowfish (If a bit annoying to him) and they seem to like to swim around and with him. They seem to like the front of the tank with more flow compared to the back of the tank.
That’s all for now!
MSB123

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s looking really good so far!
Day 3 update:
EVERYONE IS DOING WELL TOGETHER!
I have a few large anenomes coming in next week! I really love the shimmer from the kessils and the way the light bounces off the water. The clowns did show some signs of ich (small white on skin), but after uping the up to 24 hrs a day yesterday afternoon, the symptoms are gone. I will be observing closely for the next few weeks.
There is one clown who seems to be the dominant one, A misbar and also the darkest one. Average size compared to the rest, but is always out in front on the group when they are feeding of swimming against the flow. I hope this bodes well with the other misbars and that they are accepted into the group.
they also seem to be totally ok with the Longhorn cowfish (If a bit annoying to him) and they seem to like to swim around and with him. They seem to like the front of the tank with more flow compared to the back of the tank.
That’s all for now!
MSB123
Wait, what did you up?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Have they ventured much? Or just stayed on that left side?
They move quite a bit. Perfer whichever side has more flow. At night, the lower power head on the left turns off so they go over to the right top one.

I just installed a bigger carbon reactor! It has the capacity to run 2.5 LBS of Carbon! I have it full right now, and the water hasn’t ever been clearer!
I have it set up so that I get 400 GPH into the large reactor, then I take the return line and split it up so 1/2 goes to my Algae reactor and 1/2 goes to my other reactor which is just running filter floss right now. I think I want to turn it into a sand filter or a GFO reactor. Any ideas?
Here is the new reactor
6CEC8FF4-7B04-4462-82AA-4EB0F98C7502.jpeg
And here in the algae reactor and the area in my sump (20”x12”x16”) that I have cleared out for a Fuge.
29D6A3ED-336A-4161-9375-4B6294DB0FFC.jpeg F33685D0-A042-4560-9FCE-512CD9147F98.jpeg
And here is a FTS!
image.jpg
Any ideas on that final reactor?
Thanks guys!

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Saw the first real hosting about 15 minutes ago! They are all getting along well, one is a bit bullied, but gets along ok with the others. The clown that is hosting is one of the ones that is out in front leading the others. I hope they will follow suit!

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I totally forgot to do a Friday update:
Here is is-
I added a 75 micron pre filter filter sock and then a 200 micron one next to catch anything smaller then 75um. The prefilter is super dirty and brown and the 200um is getting brown.
My cheato production is through the roof- I have my main drain going through an algae reactor before it hits the filter socks.
Here is a picture of the prefilter 75um from just now
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back