Flashing

moodyad10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Noticed two fish flashing during feeding last night for the first time. One was my female clownfish and the other was a tail spotted blenny. Neither fish did it more than once or twice and both seemed to stop after feeding. Neither fish is displaying any other symptoms and both are swimming and eating well. Only other fish in the tank is the male clown.

Is it possible it was just a feeding related incident? Also, would it make sense to treat with prazipro as a "just in case" in the event they may both have flukes? I've seen where the fresh water dip will show if it is ich or flukes, just not sure I feel confident in performing a dip. Figured if a prazipro treatment fixed the issue then it was flukes, if it doesn't its something more serious and time to start thinking copper QT.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT them for observation to see if it’s just a one time thing. You can also visually inspect their bodies. That’s if your able to catch them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, flashing alone is not a sign of acute immediate concern.
Sometimes, fish will flash to dislodge little bits of detritus in the water - perhaps bits of food could cause that. I would just observe carefully over the next few days.
FW dips only show one type of fluke (Neobenedenia). If you see more flashing, I would consider dosing Prazipro 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
M

moodyad10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, flashing alone is not a sign of acute immediate concern.
Sometimes, fish will flash to dislodge little bits of detritus in the water - perhaps bits of food could cause that. I would just observe carefully over the next few days.
FW dips only show one type of fluke (Neobenedenia). If you see more flashing, I would consider dosing Prazipro 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration.
Jay
Awesome. That’s along the lines of the approach I was thinking. Always good to have some affirmation your plan is correct in this hobby. Thanks Jay!

Back