Flat worm ID

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my wife noticed several small (less than 1/8" long) and 1 mm or less wide flat worms. I have looked at the critter ID section and I am thinking it is a SPS eating flat worm or Polyclad Flatworm. However, I have had a section of one of my hammer corals die in the past week. I have had this coral for a long time without issues. Also, I have an Elegance that has a bunch of "spots" that I don't know when they appeared. The Elegance seems fine but I am concerned because my wife thinks it could be some sort of flat worm that is infecting it.

bug id.jpg
elegance.jpg
bug id.jpg
elegance.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like aecoal flatworms (pic fuzzy)
You can siphon up into a stocking using 3/8” tube- quickest way
Another option is addition of wrasse such as yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or melanurus which will eat them
They can be an issue in numbers blocking the light the elegance needs to produce zooxanthellae which is it’s energy source

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a yellow Coris and a six line. In this tank. We had 2 Yellow Coris until a month ago when 1 of them disappeared. I don't really know what type flat worm they are and even worse. I don't know what to do to rid the tank of them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a yellow Coris and a six line. In this tank. We had 2 Yellow Coris until a month ago when 1 of them disappeared. I don't really know what type flat worm they are and even worse. I don't know what to do to rid the tank of them
Wrasse are the safest bet to keep the numbers low. I find yellows are more lent towards the bugs and not the worms whereas the red lines, radiants ect.. are more lent towards the worms.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back