Flat worm identification?

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I was passing by my tank today and I noticed a couple of flat worms on a new torch that I bought, I immediately dipped it and two of them came off and then I scrub the base and scraped what looked like to be eggs and re-dipped it again, what kind of flatworms are these, I recently bought a Maxima clam and a torch I had no signs of a flatworm problem until now

IMG_20210904_215859.jpg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to be rust brown flatworms. (Convolutriloba retrogemma) These are a very common flatworm in reef tanks but you definitely want them out. Keep a close eye out for others. They reproduce quickly.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a polyclad flatworm and difficult at times to remove once it finds its way into the tank. These large and predatory flatworms known to feed on snails and sometimes mollusks mainly.
larger wrasses such an lunare and melanurus May eat the,. Blue velvet nudibranchs will eat them also.

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a polyclad flatworm and difficult at times to remove once it finds its way into the tank. These large and predatory flatworms known to feed on snails and sometimes mollusks mainly.
larger wrasses such an lunare and melanurus May eat the,. Blue velvet nudibranchs will eat them also.
Ugh, that sucks. Just bought a clam and a torch and I found them on the torch, I hope they didn't spread over night, I dipped the torch and these two came off and I saw what may looked like eggs and scraped it off and brushed it off and re-dipped.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ugh, that sucks. Just bought a clam and a torch and I found them on the torch, I hope they didn't spread over night, I dipped the torch and these two came off and I saw what may looked like eggs and scraped it off and brushed it off and re-dipped.
Perfect. Eggs are the other issue
Inspect daily the next 14 days for both worms and eggs

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back