flat worm on each duncan?

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on each polyp little flat something all have the same shape brownish color two “tails

7671B399-2EAF-4C50-A79A-3661F3E2E446.jpeg

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very hard to see but I think I see the shape you are talking about. Really hard to identify in a situation like this but if they are a brownish red chances are they are red planaria flatworms which you don't want. You can go the natural route and get a wrasse, springer damsel or a target mandrin to eat them. Flatworm exit is always possible to use but need to follow directions careful as they can poison the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to see but I think I see the shape you are talking about. Really hard to identify in a situation like this but if they are a brownish red chances are they are red planaria flatworms which you don't want. You can go the natural route and get a wrasse, springer damsel or a target mandrin to eat them. Flatworm exit is always possible to use but need to follow directions careful as they can poison the tank.
i have a couple wrasse and am would like to dip my coral, what would be best fresh water, iodine, rx, ?

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on each polyp little flat something all have the same shape brownish color two “tails

I don’t see them but I agree with @mwil79 that the description seems to be planaria. They aren’t too bad as far as pests go but they can grow in population until they will starve corals for light just because of how many there are. If you go with the chemical approach to kill them I would spend a week or so siphoning out as many of them as you can first.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Yes- looks like Red Planaria which focuses in general on hard stony coral but they will need to go ASAP. You can use a 3/8" tube and siphon them into a nylon stocking or similar and discard.
For wrasses, what will eat them: Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare and Melanurus

Also Springieri damsel will eat them

With the presence of these, you likely have eggs in the tank which they lay under coral and are real tiny. Those have to be scraped off outside of tank otherwise they will keep hatching

Upvote 0

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple wrasse and am would like to dip my coral, what would be best fresh water, iodine, rx, ?
I'm assuming you have never dipped corals. Never ever dip in fresh water. I use coral rx and that will get them to fall off just make sure you shake the coral in the dip really well after its been in for 5-10min. If you see them on one coral though they are in the rest of your tank too. Look at "flatworm exit" to treat the whole tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks reefers- i dipped the duncans and cud only find them on a torch next to them and they all fell and i rinsed and put back cant find anymore on any other coral so far…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update… yep , y’all are right -ther everywhere, i ordered salifert fwe and will be getting a sixline or target goby or whatever is best i guess-ugg and i have blackfriday coral otw!

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update… yep , y’all are right -ther everywhere, i ordered salifert fwe and will be getting a sixline or target goby or whatever is best i guess-ugg and i have blackfriday coral otw!
I would let the wrasse take care of them before using flatworm exit. If he eats them as readily as my melanarus wrasse then they will be gone in no time.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think a malenarus is more “garenteed to eat or six line or potatoe potahto?
I have no clue I’ve never had a 6line. I know that after adding my melanarus I no longer see flatworms, bristleworms, or limpets. I don’t know what wrasses are compatible with the ones you already have though. I tried adding a Timor wrasse to my tank and the melanarus was aggressive towards it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have never dipped corals. Never ever dip in fresh water. I use coral rx and that will get them to fall off just make sure you shake the coral in the dip really well after its been in for 5-10min. If you see them on one coral though they are in the rest of your tank too. Look at "flatworm exit" to treat the whole tank.
lol i really never did dip my coral when i get new, but now im scetched about my lfs, jk il just dip in something but many ppl do freshwater dips 50/50 ratio i think for parasites (i haven’t personally but have heard of success

Upvote 0

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i really never did dip my coral when i get new, but now im scetched about my lfs, jk il just dip in something but many ppl do freshwater dips 50/50 ratio i think for parasites (i haven’t personally but have heard of success
Freshwater dipping fish is fine but your going to severely stress out corals doing that, plenty of people gave killed new frags dipping in fw. Your much better off using something like coral rx.

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm Exit and be done with it. They are probably elsewhere in the tank. They were all over my elegance and mushrooms.

20220213_172158.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm Exit and be done with it. They are probably elsewhere in the tank. They were all over my elegance and mushrooms.

20220213_172158.jpg
sounds good im thinkn both -i have that fwe otw(amazon, and have two blue damsels to get the ball rolling and nip any popups

Upvote 0
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used flat worm exit twice now within a three week period, each time i dumped the whole bottle in, the *first time i saw some floating dead and syphoned up what i could, ran carbon after a couple hours with no ill effects on any fish or mixed reef , only some brittle stars (i think eating dead flatworms,,, anyway the larger planaria seemd to be more effected, but there were some very small babies that didn’t seem bothered…regardless i didn’t see any for 4 days then started seeing the babies and *second dose dumped the whole bottle and let it run all night (not worried about toxin build up as there were very few “babies, this time they were not effected and popped out again the next day for some sunshine… now what? i have two blue damsel flat worm gobblers that dont see them and a yellow coris that swim in circles and dive bombs my coral -ug

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back