Flat worms?

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been up for a year never seen them till tonight and there’s hundreds. I bought a coral frag Thursday. Could they reproduce that fast? All these yellow dots??? There alive so I assume flat worms. Are these the bad type?
thanks.
B9D24357-9EDF-4812-8272-DAA7357D9DE4.jpeg

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planaria flatworms. Pretty harmless they aren’t like the euphyllia flatworms that eat coral. But they multiply very fast and can cover a tank in a month or two if left unchecked. They can cover your coral and stop the coral from receiving enough light but that is only in extreme cases. There is stuff called flatworm exit, research it extensively before using.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planaria flatworms. Pretty harmless they aren’t like the euphyllia flatworms that eat coral. But they multiply very fast and can cover a tank in a month or two if left unchecked. They can cover your coral and stop the coral from receiving enough light but that is only in extreme cases. There is stuff called flatworm exit, research it extensively before using.
Okay thank you!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 planaria; FLE works great (follow directions), so do wrasses.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I just ordered some, basically treat the tank the do a big water change after an hour in
If there is a lot in the tank try to vacuum some out before using the treatment. The treatment itself isn’t poisonous for inhabitants but the flatworms themselves release a toxin when they die and if there is a lot in the tank it can kill your livestock.

Last edited:

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I just ordered some, basically treat the tank the do a big water change after an hour.
Try to suck as many out as possible before using fwe. A piece of airline works great. Fwe is reef safe but the toxins released by planaria not so much.
Awesome article on planaria -

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you take a picture under white lights?
red planaria have 3 lobes and these do not and may be less critical.
However they still need to be removed.
Siphoning is very effective and yellow coris-lunare-melanurus wrasses will eat them

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Red planaria flatworms. Grrrr. A thorn in my side. I siphon out as many as I can see at least once a day in order to try to keep their population in check. I am hesitant to use the Flatworm Exit at this time, but have thought about adding a six line wrasse to eat them. Still on the fence about that one, because they can be little bullies, and I have a very peaceful tank with a couple of juvenile ocellaris clowns and a sweet Rainford Goby. If you do the flatworm exit, try to manually remove as many as you can first. Run carbon after about an hour, and then a water change. Be prepared to repeat in a week to get the stragglers or the whole thing will start all over.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back