99 percent sure just wanted to check.
20201124_122639.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red planaria flatworms. They feed on small foods like rotifers, phytoplankton and such, and will grow out of control unchecked. Creating a mat with their bodies, they can smother corals or parts of the substrate. If they get to the point of overpopulating the tank, there is the possibility that they may die suddenly all at once, and the toxin they release at death can cause further deaths and even wipe out a tank entirely. Starting today- Siphon out as many as you can and discard them in toilet.
best defense to rid of them is to add either a 6 lined wrasse, luare or even melanurus wrasse. You can also use salifert flatworm stop but of you do, be sure to siphon dead ones daily as they can release toxins into the tank. Check daily also for precence of eggs which are tiny and remove them

OP
OP
mwil79

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, that's exactly what I figured from reading other posts and articles around the internet. Today was the first day I've seen them and I already siphoned all of them out that I saw which was a few hours ago. I haven't seen any since. Already looking into picking up a Six Line shortly. Thanks for the help. Appreciate the support from here as always.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back