Flatworm ID

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last year I had some rust brown flatworms and easily were killed by flatworm exit. This year I have a new type of flatworm that is incredibly different. The ones last year were big and I could see them on rock and they had a big red dot in the body, this time they are tiny and dark brown, tiny like pods. Only notice them on the glass and there are so many! I’ve hit the tank with FE 8 times, once each week on the dot and it hasn’t made a difference at all. I’ve doubled and tripled the dose (20g tank) and still they are there. I have an aggressive swissguard basslet so wrasses/damsels not an option. Might try dragonet or nudibranch but not sure...still concerned about if I can meet the care requirements! Just wondering if anyone else has had these same flatworms and if I can give up and leave them alone.

9F02FEFC-0EC7-4A98-B0AF-19FFC33ABC67.jpeg 7FEF9105-34CA-444B-9863-CBB540113267.jpeg 727055A4-ABCF-4B37-BE2D-8234F07FD1DE.jpeg FAFD32FA-B1AB-4501-BDC3-E975DF2882D0.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I have had flat worms that could not be killed in a fuge. Not with 4x flat worm exit. Pig dewormer or any other worm killer even after draining almost all the water. The only reason they are not in my tank is my Melanurus wrasse is a great hunter

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Heavy blue light making it difficult to i.d.
I can also say that wrasses such as Yellow coris, 6 lined, lunare and melanurus should eat them. You can also siphon them up with patience with a 3/8" tube into a nylon stocking and discard

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I have had flat worms that could not be killed in a fuge. Not with 4x flat worm exit. Pig dewormer or any other worm killer even after draining almost all the water. The only reason they are not in my tank is my Melanurus wrasse is a great hunter
Yep thinking of giving up they seem resistant to say the least..
Heavy blue light making it difficult to i.d.
I can also say that wrasses such as Yellow coris, 6 lined, lunare and melanurus should eat them. You can also siphon them up with patience with a 3/8" tube into a nylon stocking and discard
They are sooooo small that it won’t focus more and my phone takes crappy pics. As I said in main post I cannot do wrasses because my basslet is aggressive sadly! Tried a wrasse and he beat it up pretty good. Too tiny to siphon much and too many that I can’t make a dent. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if I should just give up lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back