Flatworm on Hammer

supercut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried manually removing it with a tong but by the time I touch the Hammer retracts and the flatworm just takes advantage of that and hides. My LFS is pretty far so I don’t know what to do.
Note I just got the coral two days ago.
I haven’t seen anymore so I’m hoping it is just one.
I did take the coral out of the tank and inspected it but I couldn’t find the flatworm. I don’t want to stress it anymore either since it does look stressed now. Any suggestions? Will a hydrogen peroxide dip work? AF73944D-525F-40DE-9C17-85E5CE6DDF2E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4579.MOV
    13.1 MB

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all absolutely do not start picking at the polyps, that's a quick way to microscopically injure the corals tissue and cause infection. euphyllia are ridiculously sensitive to injury. dont use hydrogen peroxide. order a bottle of coral dip. if theres one theres another one, or eggs.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a red planaria type of flatworm then no big deal. If it's a polyclad flatworms then it just a matter of time before it kills the coral unless you eliminate it. I like "revive" dip for polyclad on euphyllia. In my experience it does not always kill them at recommended dose/duration but it at least gets them squirming and easy to get off with gentle basting. If there is one there may be more, but high likelihood there are eggs and the dip won't kill that so it takes multiple dips every several days.

OP
OP
S

supercut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all absolutely do not start picking at the polyps, that's a quick way to microscopically injure the corals tissue and cause infection. euphyllia are ridiculously sensitive to injury. dont use hydrogen peroxide. order a bottle of coral dip. if theres one theres another one, or eggs.
I dipped it for ten minutes but did not even see the worm come out. The Hammer coral looks even “happier” but I’m still worried.

OP
OP
S

supercut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a red planaria type of flatworm then no big deal. If it's a polyclad flatworms then it just a matter of time before it kills the coral unless you eliminate it. I like "revive" dip for polyclad on euphyllia. In my experience it does not always kill them at recommended dose/duration but it at least gets them squirming and easy to get off with gentle basting. If there is one there may be more, but high likelihood there are eggs and the dip won't kill that so it takes multiple dips every several days.
It is a polyclad flatworm. I got coral rx dip and I dipped it for ten minutes and shook it but I saw no flatworm. The coral has been looking better since though. I’m just still worried it may be on it still. I have already seen new growth too.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back