Flatworm RX - Any experience with this ?

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R.

When the lights go out in my aquarium, I can see that the flatworms comes out in the dark, they are sitting in my torches, hammers etc. I have dipped them once in a while, but they are ofcause also in the rock structure, gravel and so on.
I have only heard about Flatworm EXIT, but we cannot buy this product in Europe. I can see that there is a product called Flatworm RX, but I can not se if it works for a whole tank and if it's safe to use.
Does anyone have experience in using this product in a display tank ?

Best regards
Martin (Denmark)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with Flatworm RX, but have used Flatworm Exit, if they’re similar you need to follow the directions EXACTLY, all of the flatworms dying can nuke your tank. I don’t remember the exact instructions, but I think you run carbon as soon as you start seeing flatworms dying (it happens pretty quick, like less than 30 minutes) and try to siphon out as many as you can. Just be careful and do your homework before using one of these products.

Do you have a photo of the flatworms? You said they only come out at night? A natural solution would be a wrasse (six line, melanarus, yellow coris) or blue velvet nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) though once they eat all the flatworms they’ll starve.

OP
OP
Holst

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with Flatworm RX, but have used Flatworm Exit, if they’re similar you need to follow the directions EXACTLY, all of the flatworms dying can nuke your tank. I don’t remember the exact instructions, but I think you run carbon as soon as you start seeing flatworms dying (it happens pretty quick, like less than 30 minutes) and try to siphon out as many as you can. Just be careful and do your homework before using one of these products.

Do you have a photo of the flatworms? You said they only come out at night? A natural solution would be a wrasse (six line, melanarus, yellow coris) or blue velvet nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) though once they eat all the flatworms they’ll starve.
Hi Max.
Thank you for your answer.
It's not that bad that I wan't to use it now, but I am thinking about my options :)
I do have a Melanurus, and I don't know if he is helping me out :)
I can take a picture of a flatworm when I'm at home this afternoon !

OP
OP
Holst

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a picture I found on the internet, and looks the same.
euphyllia-flatworm-large.jpg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - but if it's the same active ingredient at Flatworm Exit...

You have to hit your tank every week for four weeks straight. And at dosages 2-4x what the instructions advise (it's never hurt my corals or inverts). In between hitting the tank I take out what corals I can and hit them in a dip with 4x the dosage.

It works out in the end - it just doesn't get done per the instructions on the bottle. If you adhere to the instructions it will keep them at bay but not eliminate them (which is also good!).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the actual flatworm from my hammer..
What to do and does it harm my coral?
1D0706C1-5007-4B92-9A4A-E83E7E3DD577.jpeg

That looks to be a different type of flatworm. A type of polyclad flatworm. Flatworm exit nor flatworm RX will kill it. They can usually be handled by dipping Euphyllia with a coral dip and using turkey baster to blast them off. Then you must manually inspect for eggs also usually laid on the skeleton. A few of these dips each a week apart will usually get them all. There are also ways to make "traps" for them you can google that.

Unlike common planaria flatworms that multiply rapidly and takeover whole tank these usually stick to one specific type of coral and dont reach such a high population.... however these are usually predators and will eat that coral (unlike common planaria). If you are seeing them on your euphyllia then it is probably a variety that is going to mostly stick to those corals (though I hear some may also move on to other types of LPS like acans).

OP
OP
Holst

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be a different type of flatworm. A type of polyclad flatworm. Flatworm exit nor flatworm RX will kill it. They can usually be handled by dipping Euphyllia with a coral dip and using turkey baster to blast them off. Then you must manually inspect for eggs also usually laid on the skeleton. A few of these dips each a week apart will usually get them all. There are also ways to make "traps" for them you can google that.

Unlike common planaria flatworms that multiply rapidly and takeover whole tank these usually stick to one specific type of coral and dont reach such a high population.... however these are usually predators and will eat that coral (unlike common planaria). If you are seeing them on your euphyllia then it is probably a variety that is going to mostly stick to those corals (though I hear some may also move on to other types of LPS like acans).
Thank you! I have only seen them on my torch and hammer..
i just recieved a new dip “Coral Protec”. I Will dip them every other day and indover for eggs..
Maybe this is why my torch looks Weird ?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have only seen them on my torch and hammer..
i just recieved a new dip “Coral Protec”. I Will dip them every other day and indover for eggs..
Maybe this is why my torch looks Weird ?

Not sure if it related to it looking that way, but maybe it is some sort of stress reaction because polyclad flatworms do most definitely kill coral. I have had them numerous times in my QT and as far as pests go they are fairly easy to get rid of (in my experience at least). I would avoid dipping everyday as that is a lot of stress on the coral and probably overkill. They key is just close inspection/basting to blow off any worms when you do dip and finding as many eggs as you can(I use a toothbrush to the entire non fleshy parts of the skeleton). They usually lay eggs right below the fleshline of the euphyllia on the bare skeleton. In my experience most dips at suggested strength wont kill them, but they do weaken them and make them more likely to fall off.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back