Flatworm Tip for 5/8 OD tubing

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with a flatworm infestation for several weeks now. I often siphon them out into a filter sock in my sump, but it’s always such a laborious task that makes me want to reach for my bottle of unused FWE, but I haven’t ever used it before and every time I read about it it scares me.

I was surprised I came up short (probably incorrect search terms) when I tried finding something I could attach to the end of tubing that was rigid to make the task a bit easier.

after a few hours of brute force training in Autocad Fusion, I was able to produce what I have been looking for.

It is made to attach to the end of 5/8” OD tubing, with a nice small hole I won’t keep sucking up my baby trochus snails with and should provide something a bit more comfortable to hold that tubing that refuses to just not hold the coil to it.

I will be giving it its first use today but as a complete noob with 3d modeling, and only having just gotten into printing a couple months ago I must say I am pretty pleased with myself lol.

097E35B4-AA64-4205-81BB-2174157587E3.jpeg 8A5CF1B6-43A2-4B7D-838F-5BE21E5E14E9.jpeg 01135BF5-2A2B-45D7-BC01-5D613990BF55.jpeg

OP
OP
Eldritch_blast

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it. It doesn’t pull a very good siphon being such a small diameter tip. Back to the drawing board but the hard part is over I think

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use 3/8" with no problem

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with a flatworm infestation for several weeks now. I often siphon them out into a filter sock in my sump, but it’s always such a laborious task that makes me want to reach for my bottle of unused FWE, but I haven’t ever used it before and every time I read about it it scares me.

I was surprised I came up short (probably incorrect search terms) when I tried finding something I could attach to the end of tubing that was rigid to make the task a bit easier.

after a few hours of brute force training in Autocad Fusion, I was able to produce what I have been looking for.

It is made to attach to the end of 5/8” OD tubing, with a nice small hole I won’t keep sucking up my baby trochus snails with and should provide something a bit more comfortable to hold that tubing that refuses to just not hold the coil to it.

I will be giving it its first use today but as a complete noob with 3d modeling, and only having just gotten into printing a couple months ago I must say I am pretty pleased with myself lol.

097E35B4-AA64-4205-81BB-2174157587E3.jpeg 8A5CF1B6-43A2-4B7D-838F-5BE21E5E14E9.jpeg 01135BF5-2A2B-45D7-BC01-5D613990BF55.jpeg
If at first you don't succeed try, try again. :) Second (or third time( is the charm). Is there a way you can put mesh over a wider tube that will allow the flatworms to be sucked up but not the snails?

OP
OP
Eldritch_blast

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3/8" with no problem
I just wanted something rigid to hold, as it’s a bit of a chore and holding flexible tubing that small in my fingers while standing on a stool hunched over watching what I’m doing hurts pretty much everywhere lol. I have been doing this like once a week, and takes like 30 minutes in a 4’ long tank

OP
OP
Eldritch_blast

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at first you don't succeed try, try again. :) Second (or third time( is the charm). Is there a way you can put mesh over a wider tube that will allow the flatworms to be sucked up but not the snails?
Probably yes. I was determined to try my hand at bringing something I wished I had while doing this into the virtual world, and then in to reality with the printer.
I’m certain there was an easier way to achieve this but it’s been fun

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back