Flatworms in a nano?

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CEE39247-35D8-4EBB-B1EC-DB8263279F51.jpeg

For the past couple of days in my 9 gallon I’ve had an explosion in flatworm population which is weird because I haven’t introduced anything in over a month. Because it’s a small tank I dont think I can find a predator and I’ve been advised against chemicals due to flatworms dying causing toxins and because its a small tank this will affect it drastically. Does anyone know if there is a predator or is it okay to just leave them in there and let them slowly overtime decrease in population?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CEE39247-35D8-4EBB-B1EC-DB8263279F51.jpeg

For the past couple of days in my 9 gallon I’ve had an explosion in flatworm population which is weird because I haven’t introduced anything in over a month. Because it’s a small tank I dont think I can find a predator and I’ve been advised against chemicals due to flatworms dying causing toxins and because its a small tank this will affect it drastically. Does anyone know if there is a predator or is it okay to just leave them in there and let them slowly overtime decrease in population?
ghosts. Harmless.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip your corals before adding them to your system? :) I dip mine- and i quarantine them too before introducing them in to my main display!

The best method of control is to prevent the introduction of flatworms into the aquarium. Live rock and corals should be treated for flatworms before introduction into the aquarium.

I have been using this to control/mitigate in the past with success too! Browse around; there are some good videos and reviews on YouTube! :)

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No reason you can’t use flat worm exit on a tank that size. Just manually remove as many as possible before treatment. Follow the instructions exactly. Have a bag of carbon on hand + 100% mixed saltwater ready for a water change (if needed) and you’ll be fine

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip your corals before adding them to your system? :) I dip mine- and i quarantine them too before introducing them in to my main display!

The best method of control is to prevent the introduction of flatworms into the aquarium. Live rock and corals should be treated for flatworms before introduction into the aquarium.

I have been using this to control/mitigate in the past with success too! Browse around; there are some good videos and reviews on YouTube! :)
I do dip my corals and the rock was all dry, just confused as to how they have increased in population drastically

AwakenedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used flatworm exit on my 7g twice and it has not affected anything in the tank at all. I did actively remove any flatworms as I would seem them, followed the directions, and for sure did a large water changer after.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used flatworm exit on my 7g twice and it has not affected anything in the tank at all. I did actively remove any flatworms as I would seem them, followed the directions, and for sure did a large water changer after.
No surprise. Ghosts are resistant to flatworm exit.
And dips
And fresh water
Thankfully they are harmless except their tendency to eat copepods.

Back