Flatworms

• Thread starter reef-nut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have found some flatworms in my 24 gal. aquapod. I siphoned out as many as I could find. There is not a lot, yet. I had them in a 55 awhile back that I do not have anymore, but this tank has nothing in it out of the 55. This was a new setup from get go. They are the tiny rust colored varments. Does anything like lowering salinity help get rid of them? I have seen no damage, but I do not like them. I first noticed little brown spots on my blue ricordea. Any critter I can add to eat them?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to get you some flatworm exit! It works wonders!

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have mixed feelings about flatworm exit, as i have seen 4 people use it, and 2 of them i didnt work, the little buggers still lived, and the second two it ate up a bunch of their corals, but if i had them, i would probably try..... i just have mixed feelings...... keep me posted as i would like to know what you use and how it works...
shane

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used it successfully in 2 different tanks. I did have to use the whole bottle on my 125g though. Got them all with no ill effects on any corals.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having FW exit or FW control is a must. Some are more difficult to zap than others.
Strong flow and all the filteration equipment including off and a bag full of A Carbon is a must. Gotta aim the bunches of powerheads around the substrait and rockwork to detach the boogers.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
certain fish like the six-line wrasse and springer's damsels have been known to eat flatworms. They won't eliminate the problem completely but they can help keep things under control.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have read a little that says they really would not cause a problem. Only certain ones eats coral. What would happen if I did nothing?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them in my 12 gal aquapod. Don't know where the little hellions came from because nothing new was added. Got rid of them by siphoning out all I could see and dipping the LR in FW. I know, I know, radical, but I have absolutely no flatworms more than 6 weeks later. Hopefully, they are gone.
Now if I got them in my 110 gal, I would be in trouble because I can't dip that rock.
BTW, these little suckers hate FW. Kills them instantly.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Also, the tank just got to looking good. Its only been up a little over a month. Its got ricordea, zoos and a green leather in it and a couple percs and a small sailfin tang. Do you think the flatworm exit will bother anything? I would freak if anything died!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had a problem with flatworm exit.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Since they hate FW, do you think I could just dip all my coral and LR in FW. How long would you dip them for and would FW hurt my ricordea and leather and zoos?

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Also, they might be in your live sand and everywhere. It would be hard to dip all that?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually flatworms are harmless, just unsightly. Most won't harm any corals that are healthy, although dying pieces do make tasty snacks. The "danger" comes in if there are so many of them that they begin to carpet your corals and block light from getting to them. If anything suddenly killed them as well there would be a sudden release of toxins into the tank that can kill corals. That's why it's best to do a controlled killing with Flatworm Exit. I take a piece of bridal veil cloth and attach it with an elastic to the end of some airline and start a siphon. I put the bridal veil end into the sump to keep the water in the tank and siphon out any visible flatworms. Once done I use Flatworm Exit and a whole lot of carbon to remove any toxins. It's always worked great for me.

got zoanthids?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a scooter blenny accidentally ( added him for character not pest removal) and he was very meticulous as he destroyed the population, but be sure you have a tank to move the blenny to for other food or can get to eat flake/pelleted food.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just Used Flatworm Exit On A 500 Gallon System Worked Great, I Treated 3 Times 1st Time Twice The Dosage 48 Hours Later Treated Recommended Dosage 48 Hours Later Treated Third Time Twice Dosage Again Overkill Maybe But No More Flat Worms. No Corals Were Harmed.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flatworm exit sounds easier than dipping. I wouldn't FW dip mushrooms/ricordias. They don't like it much. You're right about the sand too. I just caught mine really early with a small tank (12 gal), so the FW dip worked for me. Got the idea from the LFS.

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes the rics, leather and and zoos are fine in a few second dip in FW, but no they will not like it......i have gotten a couple of corals from know tanks that have had flat worms, and i just swish the corals in FW, then i treat for everything else(coral revive etc) but i know that flat worms die instantly in FW so i always do it...
shane

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back