Flex 32.5: Acrylic lid with black box vs original lid with led bar?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I am new in the forum so I hope this is the right section..

I am finally setting up my fluval flex 32.5 gal and after cycling and adding some CUC, fanworms and macro I am starting to look around for lighting solutions.

My tank is covered by a lid and I quite like the looking of it, plus I basically have almost 0 net evaporation, and this means also no humidity and molds problem in the house (pretty old and woody). The water is around 10cm from the lid so any fixture inside the lid must be waterproof, which reduces the potential choices for lighting. I found a German company that makes waterproof leds which seems quite promising (Aqualumix) but are also quite expensive. My other alternative would be to make an acrylic lid and go for the Viperspectra black box, saving around 100€/$ which I could use for other pieces of equipment (e.g qt tank).

However this means I could have problems with constantly cleaning the lid and the Black box being too close to the lid and water. I can take lenses out and place it 8 inches away from the water but not much more than 10' because I have an inclined roof right above.

Unfortunately my budget is quite limited rn so I need to choose carefully how to proceed. What would you do in my situation? I know the overall premise is not ideal (small&closed tank, cheap lights), but I am really enjoying the experience with saltwater so I just need to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance for the kind suggestions

P.s. 1) I compensate for gas exchange with microbubbles and many macros

2) My aim is to get 2 clowns, 1 wrasse, 1 goby, as many LPS as possible and maybe some SPS on the top of the rockwork.

Below Pic of how it looks now:

6500k light, no sump, no powerhead (yet), live rock and dry rock. A lot of pods :)

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge is that particular model isn’t designed for saltwater. Your best bet is the waterproof LED as even a clear acrylic lid will prevent proper UV for your corals.
Why is that? Acrylic doesn't filter the wavelengths used for reefing as far as I know..

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I ended up keeping the lid and adding a second light. I believe that adding the second light will allow you to keep everything that you want. The only drawback to keeping a lid on the the tank is in the summer it runs hotter. The solution for this is fans mounted on the top of the tank. I have not done the mod yet myself.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? Acrylic doesn't filter the wavelengths used for reefing as far as I know..
How many mixed reef tanks do you know of with solid lids? They’re all mesh or open with a canopy. But it sounds like @Fishyj has a proven solution. good luck!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Nanocube that I’ve taken the lid off and am lighting it with an AI Prime. Because I have a cat that quite likes the tank, and because the place where the tank is, I don’t have the best options for an ATO reservoir, I have put a piece of glass over the top (I cut it so that it fits pretty seamlessly over the tank) instead of a mesh lid. The back part of the filter chamber is open, and I have a skimmer, so gas exchange isn’t an issue. One concern I had was about needing to clean the glass, but it’s really been a nonissue. The top side of the glass I wipe off every few days to get any dust that has settled, and the underside I’ve cleaned just once in the 5-6 weeks I’ve had it like this. The evaporation from the tank has kept the underside virtually spotless (well, besides the condensation that forms and then falls back into the tank). It hasn’t impeded the light really at all either. So I wouldn’t worry too much about doing a plexiglass lid (the reason I went with glass vs plexiglass is that the plexiglass at the hardware store was kind of opaque or wasn’t as clear as the glass, but I think you could probably find better plexiglass). Eventually I’m going to have a glass lid cut for it so it fits into the grooves the original hood did, with a little hinge for a feeding door, but for now the piece of glass I cut myself is working out quit well.

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many mixed reef tanks do you know of with solid lids? They’re all mesh or open with a canopy. But it sounds like @Fishyj has a proven solution. good luck!
I am interested in the UV absorption of acrylic also. In restarting my tank, got I rid of my dead MHs and opted for black boxes, removing the solid top of my canopy. My intent was to forego the screens and finally use the acrylic hatch covers I told the fabricator not to make 15 years ago (He made them anyway).

But if acrylic absorbs an important part of the UV spectrum, maybe I need to reconsider. Any data available?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I ended up keeping the lid and adding a second light. I believe that adding the second light will allow you to keep everything that you want. The only drawback to keeping a lid on the the tank is in the summer it runs hotter. The solution for this is fans mounted on the top of the tank. I have not done the mod yet myself.
Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually had this very tank already set up this summer and I solved the problem with lifting the lid few cm on the back with clips (the ones for hanging the laundry). With 2 lights probably will not be enough but I am planning to build a chiller for next summer.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Nanocube that I’ve taken the lid off and am lighting it with an AI Prime. Because I have a cat that quite likes the tank, and because the place where the tank is, I don’t have the best options for an ATO reservoir, I have put a piece of glass over the top (I cut it so that it fits pretty seamlessly over the tank) instead of a mesh lid. The back part of the filter chamber is open, and I have a skimmer, so gas exchange isn’t an issue. One concern I had was about needing to clean the glass, but it’s really been a nonissue. The top side of the glass I wipe off every few days to get any dust that has settled, and the underside I’ve cleaned just once in the 5-6 weeks I’ve had it like this. The evaporation from the tank has kept the underside virtually spotless (well, besides the condensation that forms and then falls back into the tank). It hasn’t impeded the light really at all either. So I wouldn’t worry too much about doing a plexiglass lid (the reason I went with glass vs plexiglass is that the plexiglass at the hardware store was kind of opaque or wasn’t as clear as the glass, but I think you could probably find better plexiglass). Eventually I’m going to have a glass lid cut for it so it fits into the grooves the original hood did, with a little hinge for a feeding door, but for now the piece of glass I cut myself is working out quit well.
Thanks for the reply, this is good news actually. How far is the Ai prime from the Glass? Does the glass heat up with the light?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, this is good news actually. How far is the Ai prime from the Glass? Does the glass heat up with the light?
It’s 10 inches above the water, so around 8 inches above the glass, it doesn’t heat it up much, maybe a few degrees.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I built the acrylic top and tried today to see how it looks like. The original cover looks certainly better but now I am less limited with the choice of light fixtures (and I don't need to care about humidity at home)
IMG_20210930_140819.jpg

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I built the acrylic top and tried today to see how it looks like. The original cover looks certainly better but now I am less limited with the choice of light fixtures (and I don't need to care about humidity at home)
IMG_20210930_140819.jpg
Do you have any other pics of the lid?
How does it lay on the top? Has it warped?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other pics of the lid?
How does it lay on the top? Has it warped?
IMG_20211008_173604.jpg
IMG_20211008_173551.jpg
IMG_20211008_173614.jpg

As you can see the lid its slightly larger than the frame unfortunately so it is held by the glass on one side and by plastic lid holders (those you find dennerle tanks for ex). It has not warped till now but it has been only few weeks..

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back