Flex 32 FOWLR stock

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Fluval flex 32 cycling currently and have been thinking about stocking. I am planning on it being a FOWLR for the foreseeable future, not sure I want to deal with coral.

I know I want a pair of clownfish and my other ideas for stocking are:
1 Dwarf Angel (Flame or Coral Beauty)
1 Blue Sapphire Damsel / Royal Gramma / Purple Firefish
1 shrimp in the future
maybe a blenny down the road too

I am wondering if this is a good stock for the tank. If it is what order should I introduce them, or do you have any suggestions for alternative fish?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your proposed fish seem fine; but the trick to not overstocking that tank is to make sure they are your final-favorites (lol). Read up on places like Saltwaterfish.com and LiveAquaria and stick to your plan, so you don’t keep adding that ‘one more, can’t live without fish.’

As as “PS”, I just got a Chalk Bass for a 20-gallon AIO. Really beautiful fish, and fun to watch. Best wishes, and keep us posted!

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I shouldn't have too much trouble there, Id honestly is happy with just the clownfishes but others will want something more.

The only thing I may change/add in the future would be some coral, but I'm really not sure I want all the trouble there.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went and picked up my 2 Clownfish from the LFS today! They are in and doing good so far.

They didn't have any blue sapphire damsels, and based on what I read about pretty much any other damsels I'm not sure I want to add any of the other species they had. Do you think a firefish will be okay in there with 2 clowns and a flame angel? They are on the pricier side at the store (~$70) depending on the kind I get.

I also saw some Green Chromis in person and like the look of them much better than in the photos I've seen. So if those are okay they could be a good option too!?

Tank 1.jpg
tank 2.jpg
tank 3.jpg

I was thinking if they would be okay together, id add the purple firefish next, then the flame angel last.

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve the same tank. Currently 2 clowns, fire fish and watchman goby. 2 Turbo snails, 2 hermits and 3 zoas.
Firefish would be great addition!!

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I may switch to a watchman goby, I didn't see it on live aquaria but saltwater.com says flame angels are not coral safe and after talking to the LFS employee, he is confident he can set me up with very easy to care for coral.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working on my new canopy for the tank today and noticed some orange(ish) looking circles appearing on all of the rock. Any idea what this could be? Also not sure why one of the clownfish appeared to be chopped in half, but he is doing well!

orange circles.jpg

From what I've read I was thinking maybe this is diatoms? If so, is it time to add some CUC, also what do you recommend, bear in mind I don't like flipping snails over :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, after reading about diatoms I saw a bunch of people mentioning they added phosphate to their water. I have been using the included Fluval Phosphate pads in my canister filter since day one. Do I not want to remove phosphate?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back