Flip's Reef

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new endeavor consists of a tank that I purchased from a gent that I met locally... He lives about 4 hours north of me in Dallas.

The tank was built by Deep Sea Aquatics, based out of Dallas, TX. They used-to be Oceanic until Oceanic relocated and all the employees stayed behind... something like that.

Any way, about three weeks ago I brought it home. It is used, but the PO only had it for a year. He moved and had more room to upgrade to a 325g. Kind of a win/win for both of us. :bigsmile: (though, his 325g really got the gears churning!)

Specs:

1. 138g DSA Rimless Starphire on front 3 panels and PVC bottom and overflow plumbing
2. Oak stand, stained black with doors on the side. I'm going to paint the inside with oil based KILZ and silicone the seams.
3. Lighting - Lumen Max Elite Reflectors, 250w Radiums (SE), Galaxy ballasts, 2 x Tek 2 HO Ready Fit Kits (T5's for supplementation)
4. SRO XP2000
5. MP40w ES

Stuff that I've accumulated via trades and purchases:

1. Chiller
2. Couple of pumps
3. Ca Reactor
4. Stock tank and water tank
5. Dry rock
6. Apex Lite
7. TDS meter (that you attach to RO/DI units)
8. Miscellaneous other things...

So as it stands, the tank is just collecting dust in the living room of my house. I'm hoping to have some water in it this month or early next month and will do a full cycle before adding livestock.

Pics:

20120812_205527.jpg

20120812_205543.jpg

20120811_215744.jpg

Cleaning the sump and skimmer.

20120811_213121.jpg

20120815_210631.jpg

Cleaned up and ready. It's a 2 chamber sump built by Melev's Reef. Liquid refreshment there for size reference.

20120823_181410.jpg

Jeremy/CoralVue sent me a new volute for the skimmer since I saw some rust building up around the old one's screws. Proper customer service! 1smile1

20120903_210826.jpg

And, my accumulation of "stuff." LOL

20120903_210913.jpg

So, there's three weeks in a nutshell. Can't wait to get this thing wet!

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! looking forward to seeing the tank stock. nice tank and equipment. 1smile1

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... But having that set empty in my living room would KILL me! :)
good luck with the build, I'll be watching.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great . L
I like the dims on the tank 43.5x30.5x23.5 ;) ..
Way better than DD tank since they are 27 inches tall .
Awesome find for the DFW area .
Did you have to say the magic words to get it ?

" honey Sumusumpa i ito ang huling"

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! You're good! LOL!

Dude, it took a lot more than words like that! ;)

Plus, she knows that would be a blatant lie! I've already planned out another build where I'll have two 280's in the wall. LOL! One FOWLR, one Reef with a honkin' sump in the fishroom (3rd bay of the garage). ;) That'll be sometime next year after we get the floors done.

We just bought a house so I'm in the clear for little bit. (yeah, right)

Glad you jumped on here, bro! Miss watching your builds! You have a knack for this stuff! I suck at aquascaping so I'm not looking forward to that part.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see this tank come along!!!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Man! You're good! LOL! "

Nah , just perpetrating and trolling a lil . (if u wanna call it that )..

Congrats on the new house .. Nice kitchen counters .. (better be careful gluing frags ) ..been there done that . I guess with the promotion comes " great responsibility " and the benefit of deeper pockets ..LOL

As far as tanks , Just not been the same . I do miss watching corals grow almost out of the water . Seems kinda out of reach for me at the moment . Last two small projects have been such a headache .

Maybe cause the tanks were too small .LOL .. I was looking at some old pic's of frags I'd picked up this year and I'll have to admit they are growing , so all is not a loss. I imagine my bud in Grifton with the 560

monster feels the same way .

I am not too crazy about those rocks cooking atm but that should make a good foundation . Maybe u'll score on some nice slab or branching rocks in the future to complete the scape out .

Anywho , let me quit cluttering up ur thread and let you get back to making ur new build a TOTM in the future .

I am so happy for you bro ...

P

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks P! Means a lot coming from you! Yes, my friend! Go larger! LOL! :: devil's advocate ::

I'm just going to start hanging out over here more often to (R2R). This site is built well, and the owners are great with the emails and family mentality. People are becoming quite nuts in my neck of the woods. LOL!

(Just kidding Houston! Who loves ya'? This guy!)

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

Since I got a warm reception, and I really like the layout of this site, I decided to shell out the 25 bones and become a supporter. Yay me! LOL

Any way, I sold my older MP40w ES last night, and shipped it out to Illinois. I'm sure it'll be in good hands. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Vortechs due to the sound of the motor. It's not obnoxious and I don't mean to sound biased or anything, but I like my tank to be "dead silent." Hence why I'll putting most of the "gear" in the garage and an adjacent room.

I've got two MP40w ES with battery backup on the back-burner if I want to go that route. It's really hard to beat the control-ability and that undertow! However, if I do run them, I'd rather have the tank in the wall... which in this case will not be the case, so I may save them for a later build I'm planning.

Any way, I have an electrician coming to the house to figure things out for me (and keep me legal), so more to follow! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back