Flipside’s Planet 268g - My First “New” Aquarium

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been active in the hobby since 2008... well, something like that. Like many of you, I have owned freshwater tanks since I was very young... my first being about 33-34 years ago. I even kept saltwater fish, crabs, starfish, and other oddities I could collect when I lived in San Diego, but I collected everything from the beach. That was the depth of my saltwater knowledge. In essence, I knew nothing and still learn new things everyday.

What I didn’t realize, until recently, is that I never actually purchased a new tank! That befuddled me because I’ve built so many reefs, reef equipment, and done many successful DIY projects. I always bought used. I just couldn’t justify a new aquarium due to the prices! I’ve changed my perspective because I’ve learned that when you buy used, you’re also buying the problems that come with it. Even previous owners could be oblivious to the problems a second owner could run into, but that’s a different topic in itself...

Heck, just a few months ago I bought a Marineland 250DD from a guy near San Antonio. I put so much time and money trying to get it up to “living room standards,” that it crippled my my drive to set it up. I hated looking at that unfinished project everyday, even though I’ve always loved those dimensions! I was torn... I was ready to just get rid of it and be happy with what I got. Until I realized that a new tank requires no fiddling with! I know that that seems obvious to many of you reading this (thanks for reading, by the way), but for me... it always seemed like a waste of money! Well... until now. I‘m at the point of no return! The tank is already being built and I’m pretty excited about It!

The tank will be 60” L x 36” W x 28.625” T. That’s where the 268 (actually 267.66g) comes in (OD, or outer dimension). The builder is Planet, and that’s what they’re calling it, so why not? It’s really more like 250 though. I’m nailing down an aluminum, t-slot stand because I can’t get a stand, built to the height I want, to fit through my house doors. The stand was pretty pricey too; but, a small price to pay for its modularity and ease of breaking down and setting up.

As far as other equipment, I don’t really know. I have a decent sump that I’ll use for now, as well as a big, used skimmer... I’m sure I’ll upgrade as I go. I do plan on using a calcium reactor, ozone, kalk reactor, and other items I already have too. The tank will remain bare bottom.

I will get pictures as I go. I’ll post up the diagrams that I’ve received so far, soon, too.

Thanks again for tagging along! I know this isn’t everyone’s favorite dimensions, but I’m hoping to make it as fun for you as it will be for me!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51E0566D-00CF-467D-86E8-56437B919402.jpeg

Here’s the first rendition. I didn’t want those 5” center braces so they redid it to this...

C610F99C-01CC-487E-B771-8C5F542BF28B.jpeg

I agreed to this one.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! Always wanted a 36” front to back tank. So much more room for aquascaping

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2AE3C2EA-C5D2-483D-B01D-B17181EC463D.jpeg
Here’s the stand. It has pretty nice leveling free on it as well as end caps that I put on after I took this photo. It was simple to put together and seems pretty sturdy. I’ll give it a good shaking when I get the tank on top.

it actually came in the day before yesterday and I set it up quick. So far, this has been worth the extra expense.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a long day! I didn’t video everything but here are some highlights:

And for those that don’t feel like watching a vid, here’s some photos from this evening:

64E97932-5261-4897-A11C-C7A2021022F2.jpeg

AD700E42-A555-4FCF-BD5A-DA646C0CDF01.jpeg

85E8EB33-F902-4D5D-8EA7-7C641FBB8647.jpeg

Taken with an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I’m still trying to figure it out. Apologies for the saturation of the stock images.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, amidst all this coronavirus stuff, I’m still doing what I can with the new reef. First, I got a great deal from a local on a new calcium reactor. It was way too big for his needs and I was the lucky one that saw it! Of all places, in the FB marketplace.

Brand new too. :)
07C43F81-1D65-484E-98ED-A12B4D07FA2D.jpeg

The only thing I did was buy a new regulator and get some extra coarse media for it. It’s not on the system yet, but hopefully soon. For those that don’t know, these types of calcium reactors do all the work for you. I’ve never used one before so I’m pretty excited about it!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
137CBA0E-0758-4C7A-954F-78A9E25A9E76.jpeg

I had to use this old sump to get the cycle started. That skimmer you see is a Coral BoxD700. It was a skimmer that I bought, years ago, to test out. It has done a very good job on projects past; but alas.... it cannot keep up with this big ole’ tank!

At this point, I bought a Current Eflux return pump too. I like it but time will tell...

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88A62BAB-4868-4C91-8349-0BD7C946C2D5.jpeg

Here‘s the pump. I like the rotary switch that adjusts the flow. It’s pretty compact, too. I can’t speak to the “silence” of it yet... but hopefully soon. I have some other accessories on the setup that are too loud for me to tell.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My iPad has to do an update, so posting this from the phone.

I went with an Aquamaxx DCQ-3 skimmer. It’s doing a much better job on just the rock that I have in the system, cycling.

C224E8B3-9CEB-4243-AF42-68E4E30C71D8.jpeg

Above is when I put it in, a few days ago.

image.jpg

This is as of right now. Can’t complain about that!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I added a light to the system. It’s an ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w. I plan on slapping a Reefbrite on it later on... maybe...

E14F7B2E-789D-4395-B347-CE5B15BA0EC5.jpeg

I have quite a bit of stuff to do today. I bought a new sump to add to the system. It’s not as big, but I wanted the features it offered. I also plan on doing a display refugium under the tank, so real estate is at a premium. I have a dragonette that I’d like to keep happy, too. I’d also like to start in on the manifold if I can find time.

That’s all for now! Hope everyone’s staying safe out there!

Back