Floating Blue Throat Triggerfish- swim bladder?

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bluethroat Triggerfish that has been acting weird for about a week or more. He stopped eating as much the first few days and was hiding a lot. After that he stopped eating all together and wedged himself betwe
20220713_185425.jpg
20220713_185357.jpg
20220713_185421.jpg
en se rocks. I captured him and lut him into a breeder box. He is floating around tail up and laying at the surface the past 24 hrs. I expected to come home to a dead fish today but is swimming everytime I move his box and actuallly looks a bit better today but still bad. I am a decent reefkeeper but giant noob when it comes to hish disease. Course of action? He wont eat so no meds in food.

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bluethroat Triggerfish that has been acting weird for about a week or more. He stopped eating as much the first few days and was hiding a lot. After that he stopped eating all together and wedged himself between se rocks. I captured him and lut him into a breeder box. He is floating around tail up and laying at the surface the past 24 hrs. I expected to come home to a dead fish today but is swimming everytime I move his box and actuallly looks a bit better today but still bad. I am a decent reefkeeper but giant noob when it comes to hish disease. Course of action? He wont eat so no meds in food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish has a bouyancy issue. Struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar iternal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin or neomyacyn should help great and best done in a quarantine tank

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for responding. I will try to get those and put him in qt.
Fish has a bouyancy issue. Struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar iternal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin or neomyacyn should help great and best done in a quarantine tank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back