Floating Suspension Kit- Clearance Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an Aquatic Life 48" DX18 hybrid fixture for my new tank and am trying to decide on the best way to mount it. The tank is in the basement with a finished ceiling that is unfortunately quite low and doesn't give me a lot of room to work with. I will have plenty of space to install the fixture at 8" mounting height from the surface of the water, but am unable to suspend it from the ceiling due to drywall-ed in return ducts above the tank. I have approximately 12-14" in clearance from top of tank to ceiling. I was considering the wall mounted floating suspension kit but can't seem to find if the total length of the bracket needs to be installed above the top edge of the tank, or if it can be installed below. I see the instructions state to mount the wall bracket as close to the top of the tank as possible- is it feasible to install the brackets so the bottom edge of the bracket is below the lip of the tank? What is the total length of the brackets? Or in this case would I be better off with the stand mounted hanging arms?

Here is a picture for reference. Don't mind the unlevel tank- hasn't been installed yet so I can move it mount whatever lighting suspension kit I go with.

0B08FD64-B3B6-466D-A0F8-C1F7AB6483BE.jpeg

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I think it will work but want to get you some measurements. Unfortunately we work remote on Fridays. I will measure my setup in the office and send you more information Monday.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will work but want to get you some measurements. Unfortunately we work remote on Fridays. I will measure my setup in the office and send you more information Monday.

No problem, thanks! I am fine with either mounting option, just want to go with what will work best.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
So the wall mount bracket is 18" in length and the mount that slides in the bracket is 5". So you would have the balance or 13" to adjust up and down if needed.

So with 12" of space above the tank for the wall mount bracket, 5" for the slide. You would have only 7" to the top of the light or 5.5"/6" from the tank to the bottom of the hybrid. Not sure that will be high enough for you.
IMG_3196.jpg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wall mount bracket is 18" in length and the mount that slides in the bracket is 5". So you would have the balance or 13" to adjust up and down if needed.

So with 12" of space above the tank for the wall mount bracket, 5" for the slide. You would have only 7" to the top of the light or 5.5"/6" from the tank to the bottom of the hybrid. Not sure that will be high enough for you.
IMG_3196.jpg

Thank you for the detailed measurements, really appreciate it! I wish I had more space above the tank for this kit as it seems very sleek, but the layout of the room just doesn't permit it. It seems like the stand mounted brackets will be my best bet.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Keep in mind the suspension wire triangle above the fixture needs almost 6". So it may actually hang a little lower than the floating suspension kit.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay, that makes sense. I'm really boxed in with the ceiling height for this build. Do you think that even with that triangle I should still have enough room to ensure the fixture is approximately 8" off the water?

Also, unrelated but- any plans on releasing a holder that will fix the new Kessil A500x?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
If you mount directly to the ceiling with a 5" triangle height and 1" fixture and only 12" clearance you would likely be closer to 6".

Possibly with it being a higher powered LED and positioned potentially at a higher height the Hybrid and the A500x may not work well together. That is at least what I understand so far.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, this mounting has me stumped now. I wish I had more room to work with but am boxed in. I will have to do some more measurements and see if maybe the floating wall suspension kit will work after all.

I'm debating back and forth between A360X's and the A500X's. I was thinking A500X's to get more PAR down to the middle and bottom of the tank. I haven't found any data yet for mounting height recommendations for the A500X but Kessil said the reflector does help distribute and could work at my desired mounting height. The T5 would help with my fill light and a little extra punch for some higher light SPS.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be good answer:

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be good answer:

That may be a good option, thanks!

@AquaticLifeProducts , is there a set spacing for how far the brackets need to from each other for the floating suspension kit? I have approximately 18" of clearance from the tank to the ceiling in the middle area between those two bulkheads.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I would not go less than spacing them 1/3 in from the ends of the fixture. I have seen it done and it appears to be OK. If you can space 1/4 from the ends with 1/2 between the brackets it would be better.

They can also be offset as the one i have is mounted into studs and they did not align evenly behind the aquarium so one side is close to the end of the fixture and the other is closer to 12" in from the side.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be too centered then, if you are saying they shouldnt be set more than 1/4 from the end?

-Sorry, I'm having a hard time visualizing your spacing.

The aquarium can move slightly to the left or right, if needed.

1619195565249.png

Last edited:

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
That looks like you might be able to have around 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 spacing for a 48" fixture.

Also for my reference is the tank 48" too? Similar to the light?

Photo of my brackets off center, as I have them mounted into studs that are not center behind the tank.
IMG_3213.jpg

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Can you let me know the spacing between the 2 yellow lines? I think you would have more of the fixture between them. I'm wondering if you would have 12" * 24" * 12" If so that would be perfect!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back