Floating vs Sinking pellets

Reaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am asking this question with regards to clowns but would appreciate any views on marine fish in general, do they prefer sinking or floating food (pellets)?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that all pellets end up sinking just some may float for longer than others, in your case I would go with floating pellets as it gives the clowns more time to find the food once it hits the sand bed they tend to ignore it. sinking pellets will be preferable mainly to feed bottom dwelling fish and invertebrates.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most reefers prefer sinking pellets as they don’t go down the overflow as much as floating pellets. I don’t think clownfish care. My clowns will eat sinking or floating. Some of my tangs and gramma will not go the surface for food, but clowns can do either. My vote would be sinking though.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sink my pellets, I pinch and release the food under the water so it sinks. My fish don't go for the food that floats.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NYOS pellets are my choice, they don’t float for too long to avoid going down to the sump and are a softer texture. All my fish love them. I feel the Algae and the Goji ones. Great for an auto feeder too.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sinking pellets. I find they float for a tiny bit if you drop them gently on the surface, then sink to the bottom. My clowns eat them anywhere but off the sand.

But I always turn off my return during feeds so food going down the overflow isn't an issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back