Flood due to Brute Trash Can Dolley failure

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want people to learn from my big mistake.
For years, I've used big brute trash cans to mix fresh saltwater and collect waste water. I have them on the roller dollies that get sold as accessories for them. Never had a problem in ten years until tonight. My daughter started screaming that there was a crash and flood in the basement. Turns out the dolly underneath my fresh saltwater Brute failed. Two of the wheel sockets gave way and the can tipped over spilling over 40 gallons of saltwater onto my basement floor. I only got about 5 gallons wet-vac'd up before the carpet got the rest. ServiceMaster will be here in the morning.
I know that many of us use the Brute cans and dollies, so PLEASE be careful about dolly failure. Inspect them regularly to see if the plastic is stressed around any of the wheel sockets. As for me, those dollies are now not welcome in my house. I've been meaning to plumb an auto water change setup anyway----using stationary receptacles---so I guess the silver lining is now I'm forced to do it this weekend.
Also, not to be preachy, I'm also very glad that I'm an electrical safety nut. I wasn't worried about my daughter's safety or mine standing in the saltwater because I knew that there weren't any plugs on the ground.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flood GIF

Who's got Time to chat on R2R... get to work

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I was just telling a similar story to a guy yesterday. 50 gallon brute tipped over on my living room carpet. Probably around 30 gallons of water. Lucky I had a shop vac and wife wasn't home.

Green_Lantern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I read your post. Sorry to hear man! Hopefully the water remediation folks can get it dried out quickly. I'm not sure if you have any box fans or anything, because if you do I would be putting those up near areas to start drying out the less damp areas...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! I've used them for years. I've set up a mixing station in garage now. For the awc I'm using a 20 gal brute and it won't fit in corner with the dolly (gas line from the water heater) as it is too tall. My ato is another 20 gal can on a dolly. I will check it. At least it is in garage. Next big job is to be sure I have things off the cement in case of spills

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back