Florida Ricordea care....Trials and tribulations, successes.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine prefer lower light, indirect flow, and lots of dirty tank water.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy loves slightly more flow than someone would think, the majority of the flow backs back off the glass and into the Florida’s direction. The lighting is lower as he is in the bottom right of my tank. The water is relatively dirty but mostly clean as he’s with acros.
image.jpg

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, it seems the general recommendation at least online stores suggest low par & flow for these.

Yet a lot of people on here are saying medium - high flow & light. can anyone else chime in or is there a thread I’m not seeing? Trying to gather all info before I glue this plug down.

Any specific PAR recommendations? Online will vary 50-200. I’m probably going to try 100-150.

Most of my tank seems to be doing well but my ricordea has been finicky, balling up and lifting the skirt is different areas of the tank I’ve tried. He even use to have 4 mouths but now has 2 and slowly regrowing a 3rd. I’m sure he doesn’t like being moved around so much my pistol shrimp has also completely buried him a couple times which isn’t helping.

This is the question I have as well.

I have two Ricc Fl.

One has been in a higher light area - I'd sa about 100 par. It's done extremely well and grown a lot.

My other one was in a lower par location, and once it started getting shaded more, it's just sorta faded and dwindled

I'm in the process of moving it and I think I'm just gonna park it next to the other one in higher light.

But there is definitely a lot of conflicting information.

@Tidal Gardens says keep this in really low par. Reef Chasers says 80-100+.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the question I have as well.

I have two Ricc Fl.

One has been in a higher light area - I'd sa about 100 par. It's done extremely well and grown a lot.

My other one was in a lower par location, and once it started getting shaded more, it's just sorta faded and dwindled

I'm in the process of moving it and I think I'm just gonna park it next to the other one in higher light.

But there is definitely a lot of conflicting information.

@Tidal Gardens says keep this in really low par. Reef Chasers says 80-100+.
Mines in 100-200 PAR at an estimate, I have both yuma and florida at this level and the yuma is bouncing.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one recently, it just makes a beeline for the nearest rock ledge/burrow and hides in the dark until I relocate it then it does it again…

So not off to a roaring start.

/Modest flow, modest lighting (pair of Noo-Psyche over a 75 gallon at about 30% power)

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one recently, it just makes a beeline for the nearest rock ledge/burrow and hides in the dark until I relocate it then it does it again…

So not off to a roaring start.

/Modest flow, modest lighting (pair of Noo-Psyche over a 75 gallon at about 30% power)

I think you need to anchor them first to a piece of rubble, and at that point they shouldn't be moving on their own.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure since we have started a Yuma care thread we will start a discussion on Florida Ricordea. To me one of the most coveted species of corallimorpharians there is, let's say the queen of the mushroom kingdom.

From personal experience I think lighting, alk, Ca, flow are the most important factors in keeping Florida Ricordea in the aquarium. Before I didn't have MH or VHO even T-5s I only had NO bulb and they would diminish within 3 months.

Since I have upgraded all of my equipment and switched salts to Red Sea Pro I have not had a single issue with Florida Ricordea, Yumas maybe but not Florida(knock on wood). I have mine right now in what would be med/high flow that is oscillating by a Natural wave timer powering 1 MJ1200 and a MJ900. They seem to really like the flow and being blasted with the lighting which they are on the bottom but under direct lighting from a 250w 14k Hamilton SE and 2x54w T-5s UVI Super actinic Rs. The coloration of these polyp have only intensified since placement in my tank. I have gotten about 20 polyps in the last 2 weeks and a rock with about 50 polyps that were showing signs of fading in color from what the original owner has told me. I will see in the next 2 weeks or so what happens with the color of this rock.

All those who keep Florida ricordea please share your experiences wither it be positive or negative and the conditions that you have kept them in and if it is successful or not....

I have found although they are soft corals they do like cleaner water and the lighting and placement is critical. They like moderate to high light but not a ton of flow. Typically in mixed reefs the flow is kept higher in the areas of light they like to thrive to accommodate other corals. They do not like being in or near shadows. They won't grow towards it.

I don't think of them as a mushroom at all but rather a mini anemone. I think they share similar requirements.

I have not really found a connection with cal and alk but I keep those pretty consistent.

Have to find that sweet spot for them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back