Florida Ricordia: How many of you have RICS!

Do you have any Florida Ricordia Mushrooms in your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 312 57.7%
  • NO

Votes: 146 27.0%
  • Will in the future

Votes: 76 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always loved Florida Ricordia mushrooms! Back in the day they were VERY popular and you could order them by the dozens. I have began to see them more and more lately from live good vendors and it made me wonder how many of you own Florida Rics! Let's talk about it.

Do you have any Florida Ricordia Mushrooms in your reef tank?

If you said YES I would love to see some photos!

image via @Corals.com
IMG_3033.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife absolutely loves ricordea. She says they look like dip n dots haha. So I got her a pretty good collection in her tank.

20220117_151750.jpg
20211108_154345.jpg
20211127_171320.jpg

That is the best description yet! LOL!

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife says she hates them because she thinks they look like they're covered in zits or warts. Now she's a really big fan of the green hairy mushroom I got recently and is claiming the split it just dropped for her classroom tank ... gateway mushroom?

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got by accident it was on some
Live rock I picked up. 2 big sizes but one Mia and the other is still surviving

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Back in the day”, late 80s, I helped out a friend that owned a pet shop… I could order Florida live rock with or without ricordia. For a very small up charge the average rock probably had 15-20 rics on it. As I recall the air freight charge was more than the cost of the rocks. I’ll have to look for pics of some of my early reefs.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had one in our nano and liked it, but it melted when we lost power for 3 days and the temp dropped into the 40s. We may eventually add one again, but pretty much out of room in the tank and on all the frag racks, so not likely at least for now. Maybe in one of the EVOs, or in the 47 gallon once we get it running.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Florida, hoping to get a few more mushrooms. Just one out of a garden of mushrooms.
Other mushrooms growing into the garden are:
- Green Rhodactis
- Blue Discosoma
- Yuma Ricordea
image.jpg

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one, Hammer Coral Bailed out and landed on the Ric. Now I dont have either. :(

I was acclimating a new hammer on the sandbed and it got knocked over by my pincushion urchin. 1 head made contact with one of my rics and boom! Hammer lost that head and the ric was pretty angry for a while, but has since recovered to most of its previous glory. Wild how much those two don't like each other!

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they usually get? I just got one, and I was wondering where I should put it.

Pure Fishigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am currently out of state but will post pics when back tomarrow I have a whole collection of Ricordea Florida shrooms that I grow and frag these are by far my favorite corals

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they usually get? I just got one, and I was wondering where I should put it.

Depends on the morph but most of the time they stay fairly small at 1-3" across. But they do split and throw off pups every so often once they settle in.

These are pretty forgiving corals for PAR requirements so can go low in the tank or can easily acclimate to high par and sit at the top of the scape. They can also tolerate a decent amount of flow, but will move or detach if not happy where you put them.

Back