Florida Ricordia or Yuma?

Blue Water

Greenhorn Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell the differance between a Florida Ricordia and a Yuma? (Besides the Price)

I ask a friend, and he said that the Yuma has polyps all the way up to its mouth, where the Ricordia is smooth around it's mouth.

That just seemed to simple. Is it true?

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yumas typically have more irregular sizes to the said polyps or bumps________insert proper name there. I try not to too much but if you touch them, yuma typically feel more tough or thick.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the difference with pics......
Ricordea Yuma, in this pic you can see on the pair of ricordea that the oral cone has what are called acrotentacles or also called pseudotentacles....
DSCN1028.jpg

In this pic of Florida ricordea you can see that the oral cone is absent of the acrotentacles.......
DSCN0965.jpg

In Florida's they surround the mouth but do not travel up the oral cone. I don't necessarily think that yumas are thicker over all I have some Florida ricordea that are the size of softballs that seem to be just as thick as my biggest yuma. Another difference is that R.yumas tend to pinch off babies where as F. ricordea tend to split or lacerate themselves once they get big enough and also create a second mouth before splitting. If you see a F. ricordea with 2 mouths that means eventually it will split into 2 identical mushrooms. I have seen F. ricordea with 4-5 mouths and never split as well.

Hope that helps a bit....

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the pinkish reddish striped yuma, James. That's how I tell them apart-floridas have no tentacles around the mouth cone and are more uniform in tentacle coverage (shape more so here), where yuma's seem to have more variability in tentacle size/shape.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, fl ricordia tend to have very uniform sized tentacles whereas yumas will have many different tentacle sizes on one polyp.
Most fl ricordia are fairly circular except for the rarer subspecies that can have very large drawn out shapes. FL rics also tend to have multiple mouths compared to yumas.

Yuma
violetcentermacro.jpg

Fl ric
peachoasis.jpg

Rarer, larger type of fl ric (usually in more drab colors than regular fl rics)
goldenmac.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy, mate - Pix # 1 is a Florida Ricordia and the 2nd pix is a FL Yum Yum...
I am getting ready to sell all my Tonga Branch, Fiji Premium live rock, SPS&LPS corals and some fish.

flrOCORDIA.JPG

Yum.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back