Flow at the end of peninsula tanks...??

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating a reasonably large peninsula but a little worried about getting flow at the top end of the tank without effecting the aesthetics of the tank itself too much.

How have people been doing it. Photos and ideas would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 72 inch tank so to get to the far end it needs to be a bit more powerful. Plus I would like flow in the opposite direction as well, not just from one end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2x gyres (one either end) on my current non peninsula tank. Two, because the reverse gyre isn't great.

What I think I will do is place them vertically either side of the weir, running them anti sync to each other. Hopefully that reaches the far end and also gives random and turbulent flow.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre as others have suggested. If it's a custom tank, is longer than 72" and the bottom is not tempered glass, plumb in a couple return ports on the far end of the tank directed back to the weir side. You will want Gyre flow across the top and the returns on the bottom boosting the flow across the bottom of the tank. You definitely want redundant check valves for these returns (if equipped) so you don't drain the entire tank when the main flow shuts down. You can also add a SCWD (Squid) wavemaker device that can alternate flow between the two returns.

https://www.marinedepot.com/SCWD_Wa..._Aquariums-3IQ_Ventures-3Q1111-FIWMEW-vi.html

If you put a squid in make sure to place ball valves on all the piping into and out of the unit in the event you have to service it. The Moody Gardens Aquarium in Galveston, TX. uses these units and when I asked about reliability they said the units in their QT facility have been in use for nearly two years and have never had a single issue with them. They are really neat devices. As water flows through them it turns a gate valve that closes off one port at a time causing flow to shut off to one port for the set time length based on the flow rate going through it. You can get all the info on it at the Marine Depot link.

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
When we had our 300 set up I had (2) 1" sea swirls in each corner at the end and these were the returns from our Dart pump in the sump and then I added
Jebao RW-20 with a nylon tie to the bottom of both for our SPS tank, I hope this helps.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two MP40s on my Red Sea 650P and two Neptune WAV's on the opposite end. Also a random flow generator nozzle on the return.

36832179_2286008868079350_1702795709268361216_n.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5' peninsula presented me with some challenges to accomplish flow I was happy with.

I tried everything I could think of to _not_ have a flow device on the viewable end of the peninsula... without success.

I mounted a fan type pump (rossmont mover) to the outside corner. Cord grommeted through the stand surround, and super-glued small zip tie mounts to the edge of the side panel and used small zip ties to hold the cord in place. Can't say it's the most attractive part of my tank, but it's not so bad.

Lights off shot from shortly after I mounted the pump:
EndView.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back