Flow help pls

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a Red sea 525xl and need some advice about flow and placement of my pumps. Im a complete noob when it comes to flow. And always think there is not enough flow or something. I just swithed out my pumps from gyres to mp40 and nero5s. My return line is running a Vectra M2 at 40% with a split at the nozzle point left and right. I have 3 nero5s and a mp40 in the tank at the moment. Mp40 is at the front left side around 3 inches below the water line. 1 nero5 is on the back left around middle of the tank. The other 2 neros are on the right side one on top front and other back middle. Top right nero is aimed up so i can get more water agitation at the surface. All 3 neros are running random mode between 40%-70%. I have mainly lps and softies. I have a few montipora in the tank.
My question is what kind of flow schedule should i have on the mp40? Should it be on constant or something else? Should i movrd around the placement of the pumps? Is it bad too many flow pumps? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you think looks good as long as flow doesn't cause corals to stay closed up. That's something you'll need to learn for each coral you get as everyone has different prefferences.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most run reef crest on the MP40, but I really like the Tidal Swell mode setting as it seems to create some nice random flow patterns. The Neros are awesome as well, and I run mine in a pulse pattern to really mix things up. Do you have your MP40's synced or anti-synced? Reason I ask, is I mix that up as well..

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most run reef crest on the MP40, but I really like the Tidal Swell mode setting as it seems to create some nice random flow patterns. The Neros are awesome as well, and I run mine in a pulse pattern to really mix things up. Do you have your MP40's synced or anti-synced? Reason I ask, is I mix that up as well..
Well i only have 1 mp40 in the tank. Im about to synce the neros by 90degrees so they chase each other to create some random flow

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back