Flow Help- Reefer 170 & MP10!

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends,

I'm brand new to the hobby and trying to figure out a good starting point for chooseing flow on my MP10. I have a Reefer 170, which is 35G fishtank +9G sump = Total 44G.

Can someone receomend the flow percent, GPH, MOde type etc..

Thank you in advance!!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-10 times/hour ttl water volume turnover is ideal target, should include return pump flow in calc. In my previous 65G cube, I ran my MP10 in ReefCrest mode which seems popular with folks

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and in a 35G tank, probably wont need to go above 4-5 dial in a MP10. Play around w setting to see which level moves water well while not splashing over the side. 3/4 high up from the base in center back is good starting point as u want the powerhead to provide good surface water movement as well.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 170 but with 1 x MP40. I run it at 1% all the time because it is so strong!

Like others have mentioned, it will depend on your rockwork and corals and placement. You'll have to play around with it :)

OP
OP
E

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 fish, 2 Anemones and two small corals. I would be grateful to get a starting point, because right now I'm choosing settings out of thin air..

Are their suggestions as a starting point to be in the ballpark?

OP
OP
E

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and in a 35G tank, probably wont need to go above 4-5 dial in a MP10. Play around w setting to see which level moves water well while not splashing over the side. 3/4 high up from the base in center back is good starting point as u want the powerhead to provide good surface water movement as well.
Thank you for yoru help!

Can you tell me what "4-5 dial" means? Is that a percent?

OP
OP
E

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-10 times/hour ttl water volume turnover is ideal target, should include return pump flow in calc. In my previous 65G cube, I ran my MP10 in ReefCrest mode which seems popular with folks
Super Fly, thanks for your help. So my tank is 35G + 9 Sump = 44. Do I do the multiplication by the whole tank of just 35 where the fish are?

Is the math... 35G x8 = 280/hour?
IMG_D979234FF872-1.jpeg

Currently the app on my phone, I think shows I'm doing 814 GPH, which would be way high... are my thinking correctly?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for yoru help!

Can you tell me what "4-5 dial" means? Is that a percent?
on the MP10 dry side (controller) there are 12 led lights that indicate powerhead speed, I was recommending setting this to reach around 4-5 (middle) led lights.

Super Fly, thanks for your help. So my tank is 35G + 9 Sump = 44. Do I do the multiplication by the whole tank of just 35 where the fish are?

Is the math... 35G x8 = 280/hour?

Currently the app on my phone, I think shows I'm doing 814 GPH, which would be way high... are my thinking correctly?
Should be total water volume turn over and yes, 814 GPH sounds too much for a 35G. Try playing around w GPH to determine what u and livestock are both happy w, but the more water turnover the better.

NaturalBrnHeathen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new too, so can't recommend a specific setting for your powerhead but I'll share what I've come to understand re: flow. The basic idea with flow is to keep the detritus suspended so you can export it & to make nutrients available to the corals. So unless there's a very specific need for turnover in GPH, we should focus on flow patterns.

I'd say start small, about midway on your pump & try to hit the dead spots. Read up on your corals needs & try to get in the ballpark of their required flow. Most importantly, since you have corals, take an incremental approach, start small & let it bake for sometime before making changes. This will allow your anemone & corals to adjust & prevent them from stressing out.

OP
OP
E

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I decided one powerfan isnt' enough, to many dead zones. I purchased a second and hope this will help. thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back