Flow how much is too much?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of flow threads, articles etc on flow. Sadly, terms like 'low', 'medium' and 'high' isn't that useful for a newbie like me.
I know many factors needs to be counted in (wide flow, rock formations etc.).

My current question is, I'm picking up my first 2 clowns in the morning, so what signs could there be with to much flow?

I have a 92 gl (4,2feet long) with 2 maxspect gyre 250 at each end. Setup with pulse mode that changes every hour. Max flow is 40% while the other is 'reverse', and they alternate to 30%/20% pulse mode.
Comming from planted tanks everything above a WIDE 10x turnover looks like a crazy amount of flow.

So in short, how can I make sure the clowns are ok with the flow?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has about 60 times flow. Even my rather slow fish have no problem. WWC runs at 100 times flow. I am a scuba diver. On reefs, flow rates over a 1000 fold turnover are common. Reef fish can handle it. Your flow rate looks to be about 50. I think that you will be fine.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has about 60 times flow. Even my rather slow fish have no problem. WWC runs at 100 times flow. I am a scuba diver. On reefs, flow rates over a 1000 fold turnover are common. Reef fish can handle it. Your flow rate looks to be about 50. I think that you will be fine.
Thanks. Comforting words :)
It's so hard to getting my mind out of the planted tank and into the reef arena.

I just picked up the clowns a few minutes ago, as the seller had to go away for a few days (he lives 5 minutes away from me), so it was now or wait.

I guess I'll see how they do after acclimating them:)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back