Flow in my 80g with Gyres

Carolina79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have an 80g lagoon type tank. Measurements are 4ft x 2ft and it’s only 16 inches in ht. The overflow is in the left corner. I have a mp10, which I’m not using anymore, bc I bought the new cloud edition gyre xf330 with the controller. Seems to Provide more than enough flow. What I’m not liking is that the surface agitation keeps the left side of the tank pretty clean on the surface but it doesn’t quite make it all the way to the right side of the tank. So I just got another gyre for the right side of the tank. So my question is if I uses gyres on each side, are those flows going to intersect and create a crazy typhoon type of current in my tank? Does anyone have Gyres on each side without issues? Should I consider adding them both to the back of the tank instead of the sides? I have small corals mostly LPS and soft corals. One digitata and a NPS gorgonian. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is that if you don't sync them and have them on some random flow patterns it should be fine. I run a pair of gyres on opposite sides of my tank which aren't synced, which tends to randomize the amount of flow in any given direction.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two of the xf350s for my 90g reef, and I have them on random flow and anti sync and its does a great job of keeping the flow varied

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back