• Wavs

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Gyre

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Vortech

Votes: 62 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Personally, I don't find these threads useful at all. Not even a little bit.

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll I was going to do this in the other thread but figured I would ask you here instead to not jump that thread off course.

You love tunze that might actually be an understatement on almost every thread u tell people to sell there Ecotechs to get tunze and I want to know why drop it all right here and now.

So let's have a friendly debate about it and maybe in the end we can figure out what is actually the best way to get flow in our systems at a decent price.

Let's debate about the footprint, gph the looks inside the tank, longevity and maybe we can figure out the dollars per gallons an hour we spend on our power heads as well.
@saltyfilmfolks I would love your input as well cause I respect your opinions as well.

I had an mp10 and I liked it but I just got the Neptune wavs and I love it

So mcaroll explain to me why I should have gone with tunze your up let's make it a good one

Untitled-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvo have you tried the wavs?

marvo409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very good pumps just don't think they disperse the flow as good as the mp40s

marvo409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again very very strong pumps! But on a 6 foot 210 gallon not to concerned about water getting from one side to the other more concerned about the even flow

MMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 120g, I still had all of my equipment and livestock in my old 75g tank. I decided to purchase a cheap pump to keep some flow in the new tank until it finished cycling. So, I went out and picked up a jebao wp40. I had all the intentions in the world after I moved my apex controller to the new house, to pick up an apex wav. However...this jebao moves an insaaane amount of water. I have had it on the lowest setting since day 1 and aside from a couple koralias pointed at the surface of the water to create some agitation, it's been the only circulation pump in my tank for 4 months now and I have absolutely no complaints.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute best flow in my tank with the greatest growth and most varied amounts and types od flow I had in my standard 55g was a 10x return on a simple y spit to barrel roll. A 300 gph behind the overflow and 1 1200 maxijets facing a 500 gph sun sun each other across the back. The 122 was on a simple on of timer every ten minutes.

At that same time I had added 4 t5 8in from the top of the water.

Pics in a minute.

40 days growth from a single stick.
IMG_1196.JPG

5 months prior. 11/4/15
IMG_0217.JPG

10/14/16

IMG_1439.JPG

the other green stylo colony I had to sell, it got bigger than the one in the pic.
Natural seawater(from the ocean not store) no dosing. WC only.

Its not the tool, its haw you use it.

Last edited:

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll i was going to do this in the other thread but figured I would ask you here instead to not jump that thread off course.

You love tunze that might actually be an understatement on almost every thread u tell people to sell there Ecotechs to get tunze and I want to know why drop it all right here and now.

So let's have a friendly debate about it and maby in the end we can figure out what is actually the best way to get flow in our systems at a decent price.

Let's debate about the footprint the gph the looks inside the tank longevity maby we can figure out the dollars per gallons an hour we spend on our power heads as well.
@saltyfilmfolks i would love ur input as well cause I respect your opinions as well.

I had an mp10 and I liked it but I just got the Neptune wavs and I love it

So mcaroll explain to me why I should have gone with tunze ur up let's make it a good one
I used to have a beer fridge with two MP40's and their old MP20 that I used as magnets. All were a little over a couple years old, perhaps three years max. I'll never buy another Ecotech product. And that was before I saw that recent thread with all of the brand new rusted wet side defects.

I'll be going Tunze or WAV on my new build.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1757.JPG
I got two wp25 after macna last year and some ai sol's. the flow is wider and not as turbulant and doesn't reach across the tank as well. But there's a bit more power so I use the surge and Else mode. A variable laminar mode most often. Both heads are still across the back primarily.

Also my par is lower. Both flow and light being lower the growth has slowed.
Thank goodness. I hate fragging and selling.
Most cuz of flakes.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty u always amaze me with ur tank

Now I heard the the jaboes are good as well but are they loud??

Yes the new Ecotechs seem to be rusting I wonder why. Also I heard the patent is almost up so pretty soon more companies will be able to use that type of head

So for the debate of everyone who replied The wavs are big but I can hardly notice the person with the Jaboe u still need other power heads in there to push water to the top salty u still had an my opinion ugly mj1200 in the tank with two wavs that's all I need and when noticed are to me not an eye sore I also have constant flow in a 90 with no dead spots I have them set up for a 65 gallon tank on no higher then 65% I can not hear them at all. Well worth the 500 dollar investment. Plus when I upgrade I do not think I need any more I can just turn them up.

I think wavs are now the best power heads

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with your assessment of my contributions at Reef2Reef. Seems like this coulda been a PM where you asked a question instead.

But you're welcome to your opinion and anyone can start a thread! :) This is a fine example of those things. ;)

If anyone is actually interested in what I've really said in the past on this topic (it's quite a bit, actually...a track record, if you will), please feel free to peruse this example search for posts where I have actually mentioned both tunze and vortech (try other searches too! it's easy!):

tunze vortech (<-- Click there)​

Here's all the fun I can provide for this thread...

If you wanted to think of a tank's flow as a boxing match and each pump as a fighter, I'd pick Tunze in almost every fight.

They have a Sugar Ray, a Muhammad Ali, two or three Mike Tysons and even a Juggernaught! :D

• You can get more expensive fighters than what Tunze offers.
  • You can get smaller fighters.
  • Bigger fighters.
  • Fighters that fight while they are half out of the ring, in a neck brace, wearing camouflage... :rolleyes:
  • Etc.
But who could stand toe-to-toe against any of Tunze's fighters?!?! ;)

I think I'd still pick a Tunze for almost every fight.

I don't know that I would ever pick pumps for actual tanks or make recommendations on the same basis though.

A tank has none of the consistency of a boxing ring, just for starters. ;)

Here are some information resources that are important to me regarding pump selection and the two brands you mentioned:
Those are just links of particular interest that I use a lot. In general, I do tend to use most manufacturer's sites, like tunze.com and ecotechmarine.com, quite a bit where information is provided and that information is relevant.

Someone might also find related items of interest in the Flow section on my blog. (Boring but informational!!)

There's also my blog's Internet Reefer's Decoder Ring section with some opinion in it....much more fun, but nothing on flow so far. :(

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with your assessment of my contributions at Reef2Reef. Seems like this coulda been a PM where you asked a question instead.

But you're welcome to your opinion and anyone can start a thread! :) This is a fine example of those things. ;)

If anyone is actually interested in what I've really said in the past on this topic (it's quite a bit, actually...a track record, if you will), please feel free to peruse this example search for posts where I have actually mentioned both tunze and vortech (try other searches too! it's easy!):

tunze vortech (<-- Click there)​

Here's all the fun I can provide for this thread...

If you wanted to think of a tank's flow as a boxing match and each pump as a fighter, I'd pick Tunze in almost every fight.

They have a Sugar Ray, a Muhammad Ali, two or three Mike Tysons and even a Juggernaught! :D

• You can get more expensive fighters than what Tunze offers.
  • You can get smaller fighters.
  • Bigger fighters.
  • Fighters that fight while they are half out of the ring, in a neck brace, wearing camouflage... :rolleyes:
  • Etc.
But who could stand toe-to-toe against any of Tunze's fighters?!?! ;)

I think I'd still pick a Tunze for almost every fight.

I don't know that I would ever pick pumps for actual tanks or make recommendations on the same basis though.

A tank has none of the consistency of a boxing ring, just for starters. ;)

Here are some information resources that are important to me regarding pump selection and the two brands you mentioned:
Those are just links of particular interest that I use a lot. In general, I do tend to use most manufacturer's sites, like tunze.com and ecotechmarine.com, quite a bit where information is provided and that information is relevant.

Someone might also find related items of interest in the Flow section on my blog. (Boring but informational!!)

There's also my blog's Internet Reefer's Decoder Ring section with some opinion in it....much more fun, but nothing on flow so far. :(
u know im kidding with you and I respect your opinions and I know I could have pm'ed ya but then everyone else couldn't learn from you

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72 gallon bow front and I want to know if I should get 1 gyre or 2? Or 1 MP40 or 2? Isnt 4000 plus GPH enough? I need 2...
bow fronts are tough Salty or Mcaroll any ideas?

MMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I heard the the jaboes are good as well but are they loud??

My Jebao is completely silent. It's on a wave setting during the day where it turns on/off every few seconds and creates a nice wave motion in the tank and then it has a light sensor which switches to w/e you choose at night.
The only downside with the Jebao that bugs me, personally, is the fact that it's a bit big and bulky. However, I can live with that because the performance is outstanding and the price is even better.
On a side note, I do have a MP10 from an older tank. It's quite noisy, you can hear it buzz on and off all day long. For the price, you'd think they could make it a bit more quiet.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jebao is completely silent. It's on a wave setting during the day where it turns on/off every few seconds and creates a nice wave motion in the tank and then it has a light sensor which switches to w/e you choose at night.
The only downside with the Jebao that bugs me, personally, is the fact that it's a bit big and bulky. However, I can live with that because the performance is outstanding and the price is even better.
On a side note, I do have a MP10 from an older tank. It's quite noisy, you can hear it buzz on and off all day long. For the price, you'd think they could make it a bit more quiet.
I now agree with the vortechs not being worth the money. the quality is not there anymore it is almost like they tried to save money and get cheaper parts but charge the same price. the thread on the wet sides is disgusting and ecotech should be appalled that there products are doing this. but I do love my Vectra's and my MP10 is quiet as the dickens and makes a water change pump

I belive SunnyX on here has Jaboes and he swears by them. but his tank is packed with corals and you can not see them behind the corals. but my other buddy has a tunze and a jaboe(he replaced a broken tunze with this) in his not so packed 225 and boy they are ugly and very noticeable. I sold him my gyre 250 and he loves it so much hes getting a second one to replace the tunze and Jaboe because he said it does not compare to the flow of the gyre. he also has seen the flow in my tank with the WAVs and said he wished his power heads did that to his water.

so that's all I have to go on my experiences. and I have not had very good ones with tunze I bought a expensive skimmer that never skimmed a day in its life and my buddy does not like the tunze he has or had.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Vortechs get a bit more noise because the motor is on the outside of the tank. The water and glass insulates that noise on pumps that are inside the tank.

I do appreciate the aesthetic of no wires in the tank, but just haven't been able to justify the expense of the Vortechs yet.

I am starting a new tank, and installing a Gyre, because I like the look of the flow patterns I have seen. That being said, I sat through an excellent talk by the head of the Long Island Aquarium, and he was extolling the value of Sea Swirls, and said he thinks they will come back as people get tired of the newer toys.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back