Flow in our tank: Tunze, Ecotech, Wav, Gyre..great debate

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by justingraham, Apr 8, 2017.

?
  1. Tunze

27 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Wavs

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Gyre

47 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. Vortech

58 vote(s)
    38.2%
  5. Other

23 vote(s)
    15.1%
  6. Personally, I don't find these threads useful at all. Not even a little bit.

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FirstContact

FirstContact Active Member

That's funny Panta Rhei's user manual lists the max flow at 11,280 l/h or about 3,000 gph for the 42.

2. FirstContact

Where did you get that number from?

3. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I added a poll

4. ksed

ksed Well-Known Member

5. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I have used Tunze products since the late 1980's and have a skimmer that is still going strong on a 40 gallon tank. Original pump without even an impellor replacement. Just take it apart and clean everything about once or twice a year. How many of your China pumps can claim even a portion of that duration of service...and no rust ever. If you want a Yugo go ahead and buy China made...If you want a Porsche buy German. In the same time I have thrown away buckets of China made pumps from Hydor to Marineland to Maxijets and Sicce. Some have not even lasted a year. Never bought a Ecotech or Wave so in all fairness I will not comment on their products. Well except for the threads here with pictures of rusted wet sides...who needs that no matter the price.

squareriggersailor and chefjpaul like this.
  6. ksed

ksed Well-Known Member

7. FirstContact

8. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I agree but I think the newer tunze are not the same quality as ur 34 year old skimmer.

Would you agree with that?

9. DanP-SD

DanP-SD Active Member

Good points. So to be clear, I was not trying to compare price and didn't list that as a factor, figuring anyone on the thread could easily look up price. On a price basis, I suspect the Vortech would fare worst as the most expensive. For me, the MP10 was never an option because my glass is 1/2" and Neptune doesn't make a pump priced the same as the MP40.

As for install, my comment about the WAV being harder to install was not based on placing the pump in the tank, but the entire process. Once you place it, you need to also install the 1Link, route cables, and then install and update the drivers on the Apex. In my experience that process was considerably more demanding than with the other pumps. But you are absolutely right that merely setting the pumps in the tank is pretty simple. I also like the thin dry side magnets, which allow them to fit in tight clearances.

10. justingraham

So what does an mp60 cost??

How long ago did u have the wavs? I only ask because I never had to do a system update or anything t was plug and play for me. Yea I understand running cables is no fun ( for me it is I despise cables) but it wasn't hard the only thing I messed up on was I forgot to plug in the power chord for the actual 1link so I had power on the one link just the wavs did nothing.

11. DanP-SD

DanP-SD Active Member

I installed the WAVs about a year ago. The update step is baked right into the Neptune get started guide.

12. justingraham

Yea I guess I was lucky

In fact yesterday I downloaded some ones sps flow of the web and it seems to be working quite well the ease of use on the apex is truly nice

13. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I would not agree with your assesment. I recently purchased a couple of used Tunze internal filters for some saltwater and freshwater tanks. So far I am having the same great results. Some people may not have the same experiance I have had. Someone posted a picture of a rusted Tunze in the threads not long ago. In my experiance this is often the result of allowing the pump to run dry or overheat and cracking the housing.

Many of the China products do not use proper plastics with proper modifiers in an effort to produce a cheap product. China always tries to make its own resins and the results are less than good. As a result the resins warp, crack, and then rust the metal components inside. While China produces whatever you want in terms of price the end product often has little or no research as to proper resin selection and proper design. Customers end up being the beta testers and a bad reputation results. They also do not honor patent or copy right laws so they will willingly steal your concepts and designs and sell them out the back door with another label on it. Poor business to invest in relationships that will harm your intellectual property for a buck and short term sales. If you don't beleieve me look at several of the current Protien Skimmers with different name but similar appearance. Then go to Alibaba.com and see those same skimmers at half the price from the actual Chinese manufacturers for sale. Same with LED light systems branded here in the U.S. The actual manufacturers will gladly sell to you direct if you are willing to take the risk and pay up front without any guarantee of delivery.

I prefer to support companies that research, test, and support their products in house. Eheim is an example of some German companies that produce products in conjunction with China like the Liberty filters to keep the price low. They do however maintain tighter controls on the quality and end product. You will notice a quality difference between in house products with Eheim and the products they sub out to China. If you look around you can find Canisters for sale from China that use the same internal filtration as Eheim and advertise as such. This is a clear attempt to knock off Eheim and get unfair advantage of their market reputation. Why support that kind of dishonest business practice?

Most of the U.S. labeled products are manfactured overseas. When are we going to bring those products back here and support our local communities with factories? Shipping and customs takes away many price advantages to manufacturing overseas. Some companies like Dell have seen the results of assembly here in bottom line profits. More compaines should follow.

I have spent the last year or more trying to purchase acrylic manufactured in the United States and guess what? The only two companies left are not interested and the distributors will not stock their products. So I can't even fabricate and offer acrylic aquariums with products made in the United States...how sad is that? Our way of thinking should change. It is better to use local source products in terms of energy consumed and product used to provide quality products with a lower energy foot print. Is that not conservation?

The U.S. manufactures make a better product in both glass and acrylic but try to buy it and see how difficult it is to get supply as a start up. It is frustrating to say the least to try to source local and support U.S. manufacturing. I am giving up and going back to my core business which supports DuPont products.

I guess your question hit a nerve...maybe my last one...sorry.

squareriggersailor likes this.
  14. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Honestly for me the answer is all of them!

What I mean is this.

You can use a single brand and achieve desired results depending on how many pumps you add, positioning, etc. For me I have found that using a combo of different brands has been great. I have used all the mentioned brands and they are all pretty great. I currently am using Vortechs and WAVs in my tank. I will be trying out some Rossmont Wavers this week as well. Tunze and the Gyre are also just as good for different reefing strategies.

15. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

I updated the poll to allow users to select multiple pumps.

16. chino402

chino402 Member

Tunze is the best because you can direct the flow, they are the most quite and last the longest, MPs are good but u have to plan out your aquascape, and they are not as quite. gyre can't create turbulent flow, so gyre is not sps friendly, and require a lot more cleaning. End of discussion. ✌️

17. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Thats why I use a combo of brands

18. marinelife

marinelife SaltGeek

I used Tunze Streams for 13 years before changing them out to Gyre pumps. The Tunze never had an issue and worked great until the removal. I removed them because of age. I also had Tunze Waveboxes for 9 years. They did great and retired due to age. I have used Gyre pumps for 6 months, so far so good but only time will tell.

19. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Here is my 2 cents....
    I Love Tunze , I have had them for well over 5 years and never had an issue, (1 6095 2x 6055 and one fairly new 6105)
    About a year ago on a recommendation from another reefer I added 2 jebao wave maker RW-15 (Before I added the last Tunze the 6105 )
    They didn't even last 1 year.

What should be added to this thread is how long you have had the pumps and If you have had to replace anything then it should be documented.
    Vinegar baths excepted.

ksed likes this.
  20. pelphrey

pelphrey Valuable Member R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I recently replaced my MP40wQD with the Gyre 230. It's not a true comparison as far as how much water the pumps push.

Giraffe0621 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted