Flow Monitoring Kit (FMK) NSI Beta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, look what just showed up! Can't wait to get this installed.

I should have some mounting pictures tomorrow, if you have any questions let me know. Not much in the way of early impressions until I get it up and running but right off the build quality on the sensors looks solid! I appreciate they fact they included SCH 80 true unions right out of the box.

MFmyfEh.jpg

07vEtN2.jpg

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Interested to see how well these work. I'd love to put one on each of my main pumps and one on the chiller.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too cool! Love it! Glad to see some of our members are a part of the beta tester group!

DSD1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my FMK kit yesterday also. Just waiting for my new return pump to come in on Monday to install. Very please with the quality of the product. I will also post pics of the final install.

IMG_0535.JPG

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine too! I hooked up my first sensor to my return pump, Vectra L1, the other day. I always thought I was getting 1,800-2,000 GPH based on the head of about 6.5'. To my surprise, it's sitting slightly below 1,200 GPH on a consistent basis at max power, which isn't enough. Kind of disappointing actually. I'm now looking to get the Abyzz A400 so I can get the proper flow moving, hopefully 3,800 - 4,200 range, and then split off to feed my various reactors and eliminate 3 other smaller pumps I'm currently using, with the help of the additional flow sensors to dial in the slow properly to each reactor.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was the calibration procedure? Are those units gallons/hr?

Yes, GPH. The flow is ramping up and down because I was playing with the manifold valves just to generate some data for the chart. In a perfect world I assume this would basically be flat.

Over the weekend I want to simulate a blocked GFO reactor. I would expect to get a low flow reading in the GFO sensor and high flow on the Carbon, since that flow has to go somewhere, we will see.

There isn't a calibration as such. You basically just tell the FMM what sensor you have installed.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, this is going to be a cool and useful addition to the APEX for sure.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling and these are more for monitoring rather than calculating energy consumption so calibration is less critical. If anything it may be good for Neptune to add a zero and offset feature in case there are variations from meter to meter. Every meter will read slightly different unless they ship calibrated.

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, this is going to be a cool and useful addition to the APEX for sure.

Honestly I didn't expect to want to expand this "idea" as much as I do now. At this point I'm going to need 2 or 3 FMM modules. They each support 4 sensors. I've got another return pump going up to my DT that I'd like to monitor so that makes this FMM full. After that I'd love to get some of optical level sensors for varios ATO/sump functions as well as a few leak detectors.

I had a feeling and these are more for monitoring rather than calculating energy consumption so calibration is less critical. If anything it may be good for Neptune to add a zero and offset feature in case there are variations from meter to meter. Every meter will read slightly different unless they ship calibrated.

Yeah, the EB832's on the new Apex already do a great job of monitoring energy consumption. This is definitly a "failsafe" oriented device between the flow sensors, leak detectors, and optical level sensors. I could see some scenarios where an offset feature would be usefull (artifical head loss due to plumbing around the sensor) but what you're really looking at with this device is deviation/changes in flow. For that matter the flow number could be pretty arbitrary it would still be effective in its purpose.

Oh man i want one.. any one know what the price point will be?

I don't _think_ Neptune has released an official price yet, but a few websites have reported $99 for the FMM module itself with sensors ranging from $25-$100. I feel like the FMK (FMM, 1" flow sensors, 2 x 1/2" flow sensors, related plumbing) is going to come in at a very good price point for what's included.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
JustinFromAL

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to test Neptune's flowmeter against my industrial flowmeter at the shop and see how accurate they are.

How close to are you to Morgan Hill? :)

They've stated that assuming optimal plumbing and no air in the line they're +/- 3% on average.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back