Flow questions

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researching Coral needs..I read Low/Medium/Moderate/Strong Flow rate.
Any ideas how to judge that as a beginner?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researching Coral needs..I read Low/Medium/Moderate/Strong Flow rate.
Any ideas how to judge that as a beginner?

Here’s a rough idea. Take the volume of your tank and multiply it by...

10-15 for “low flow”

20-35 for “medium flow”

40 and up for “high flow“

If you’re running a sump, you can also add the flow from the return pump. Keep in mind it will usually be a much less than what the pump is rated at due to vertical pumping losses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75g normal with a Protein Skimmer, and 2 350g PH Bio Wheel Marinelands..not perfect...but having fun:)

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if it is enough..or maybe a Power head?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if it is enough..or maybe a Power head?

You’ll want to add a few circulation pumps. The most basic setup would be a two hydor koralia’s, one on each end of the tank and pointed directly at each other. Most corals benefit from turbulent water circulation.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked them up...so power heads that make waves?..I'm still a tad new to the hobby

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am no expert but I have read extensively on flow while setting up my new tank as well.

• Most filters are rated without media, so try to take into account any flow restriction through media (especially if overloading), and your bio-wheel interrupting the out take.

• The HOB filters are helping with surface agitation but their output is 1 direction. The use of powerheads allows for creating different flow patterns throughout the tank effectively eliminating dead spots and carrying nutrients for everything. In most cases (at least that I have seen), power heads will be aimed towards each other in order to "hit" their flows and create a unique flow pattern. Also, being purchasing ones that allow you to use a controller (or timer) to ramp one down while ramping its opposite up (or shutting one off and turning the other on) throughout the day will help create random flow patterns.
So in short, yes you are going to need a powerhead, especially needing specific flow rates. More than likely your lowest flow rate will be towards the bottom, or behind rockwork and such that breaks up flow. I would also remove one of the HOB filters as its really only purpose would be mechanical and chemical filtration, as flow and your rock will deliver most of your filtration, and your skimmer effectively lowering things that would spike your parameters before they even get the chance.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally works for me...One of the HOB filters is splashing and getting spatter on my floor,I dont really have room for both HOB filters and my skimmer...any input on the size of the power head or heads?

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am assuming because you are running HOB's that you are not working with a sump or anything. I would look into something like this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/larg...-refugium-with-led-lighting-cpr-aquatics.html for the future to replace the HOB's filters all together. Now I am not saying you won't have success with the HOB filter (honestly I don't know enough yet or ever used one), but everything I have researched shows that a well maintained refugium will out perform both HOB's and canisters. Especially when you can get creative and still use the same media you would in those filters (carbon, filter floss, etc.).

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally works for me...One of the HOB filters is splashing and getting spatter on my floor,I dont really have room for both HOB filters and my skimmer...any input on the size of the power head or heads?

As @Crustaceon mentioned above
Here’s a rough idea. Take the volume of your tank and multiply it by...

10-15 for “low flow”

20-35 for “medium flow”

40 and up for “high flow“

If you’re running a sump, you can also add the flow from the return pump. Keep in mind it will usually be a much less than what the pump is rated at due to vertical pumping losses.

I would definitely go with the highest rated for your 75 gallon, so 75 * 40 = 3,000. That being said that's TOTAL GPH not just what you should aim for in powerheads. So make sure to include what your HOB's and skimmer are pushing. Also, if you remember how much actual gallons you put in your tank (water displacement from sand/rock) may be more along the lines of 60-70 gallons depending on how you stocked. So work that into your math. And do it in multiple powerheads so you can create those random flow patterns and then just work on your placement so you get different rates in different places and are not blowing sand everywhere lol

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am assuming because you are running HOB's that you are not working with a sump or anything. I would look into something like this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/larg...-refugium-with-led-lighting-cpr-aquatics.html for the future to replace the HOB's filters all together. Now I am not saying you won't have success with the HOB filter (honestly I don't know enough yet or ever used one), but everything I have researched shows that a well maintained refugium will out perform both HOB's and canisters. Especially when you can get creative and still use the same media you would in those filters (carbon, filter floss, etc.).

I went budget...was just getting my so called feet wet for a Valentines day gift from my Wife...now I'm hooked..lol

I went from planning on spending a few hundred bucks...I'm now in over $1500.00...and we dont care...she loves the tank...lucky there:)

:)

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went budget...was just getting my so called feet wet for a Valentines day gift from my Wife...now I'm hooked..lol

I went from planning on spending a few hundred bucks...I'm now in over $1500.00...and we dont care...she loves the tank...lucky there:)

:)

Hehe, yep I tried going on a budget too and that did not pan out once I got started lol. I actually started a 20 long nano reef, and within 3 days I had upgraded to a 36 bow LOL. And so far I have

• The CPRAquatics HOB Refugium /w Rio 400 pump
  • XPAquas Overflow Box that does surface skimming and is an ATO (Auto Top Off)
  • Tunze DOC 9004 Protein Skimmer
  • 2x Koralia Nano's 240
  • Orbit IC LED's
Mind you, that was all bought after I started the budget build with a left over 60 gallon canister filter and Maxi-Jets pumps I had laying around from the one of many freshwaters I have up lol. So I ended up putting in like another $800 in just that stuff o_O

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Crustaceon mentioned above

I would definitely go with the highest rated for your 75 gallon, so 75 * 40 = 3,000. That being said that's TOTAL GPH not just what you should aim for in powerheads. So make sure to include what your HOB's and skimmer are pushing. Also, if you remember how much actual gallons you put in your tank (water displacement from sand/rock) may be more along the lines of 60-70 gallons depending on how you stocked. So work that into your math. And do it in multiple powerheads so you can create those random flow patterns and then just work on your placement so you get different rates in different places and are not blowing sand everywhere lol

Thanks...have 2 bags of live sand and probably 90 pounds of rock...But most of it was lite...seemed to displace little water.
How many heads would you add and at what power ..most of the Coral I'm wanting down the line want Medium to Strong flow

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, yep I tried going on a budget too and that did not pan out once I got started lol. I actually started a 20 long nano reef, and within 3 days I had upgraded to a 36 bow LOL. And so far I have

• The CPRAquatics HOB Refugium /w Rio 400 pump
  • XPAquas Overflow Box that does surface skimming and is an ATO (Auto Top Off)
  • Tunze DOC 9004 Protein Skimmer
  • 2x Koralia Nano's 240
  • Orbit IC LED's
Mind you, that was all bought after I started the budget build with a left over 60 gallon canister filter and Maxi-Jets pumps I had laying around from the one of many freshwaters I have up lol. So I ended up putting in like another $800 in just that stuff o_O

Yah...I'm guessing this is a running theme in this hobby..lol

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would probably add at least 4 powerheads, especially since your tank is longer ( I believe 4 feet? ). I would probably position 2 in the middle pointing up and then out towards the sides to help with surface agitation. Then I would put the other two on the sides pointing down to your sand bed to keep stuff caught in the water column and able to hit each other ( or vice versa middle-down, sides-up).

And if adding 4 I would definitely at least go 500 gph each

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang...350 gph HOB...protein skimmer and 4 Power Heads...are my frags and fish gonna be able to live?..lol

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I did notice something about certain powerheads. Those koralia's seem to have a more dispersed flow and feel more gentle (though they are hitting their rating) than say like a Marineland powerhead that just has a harsh beam like flow. So I would recommend just putting the couple extra dollars into those koralia's or something like them. You can even get different casings for them that create different flow patterns straight from the PH too.

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang...350 gph HOB...protein skimmer and 4 Power Heads...are my frags and fish gonna be able to live?..lol

Lol, yea I mean 500*4=2000 and with your HOB and skimmer you're maybe hitting another 500, which means you're still 500 under that 40x for "high-flow". Also you're gonna have things that break up the flow, especially hitting each other, sides and top of water. For reference my 36 bow has 240+240+400+110+110= 1,100 gph and I know there is only like 32 gallons in there including the refugium lol so about 1/2 your tank in volume. My clownfish and skunk cleaner love it. The clowns play in the column non-stop lol.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back