Flow rate question

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 15G nano (waterbox peninnsula 15g), I just added 2 clown fish and currently I'm concerned that I have too much flow.

As you can see in the picture, I have the default return pump and 2 TMC 4000 reef tide power heads which are rated at 1000gph but I have them running around 40-60% each.

Do you think the clowns will have too much flow and not find a place to rest?

What do you think of the placement?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot_20210519-115123_Gallery.jpg

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually about 10-20 times tank volume is used to estimate what you should have. If you have a lot of sps maybe more. But you might want I’m the 150-300 gph with your tank size. You’re using 1,000 with both lumps. IMO it’s a lot more than is necessary. As far as whether the clowns are happy or this and that I’m no expert or anything. I can only relate the advise that I use myself.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 15G nano (waterbox peninnsula 15g), I just added 2 clown fish and currently I'm concerned that I have too much flow.

As you can see in the picture, I have the default return pump and 2 TMC 4000 reef tide power heads which are rated at 1000gph but I have them running around 40-60% each.

Do you think the clowns will have too much flow and not find a place to rest?

What do you think of the placement?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot_20210519-115123_Gallery.jpg
I will take a stab at answering this. I would not have a constant current that makes the fish swim constantly. So, no whirlpool like in a toilet. Nor would I have the current so fast that the sand piles up in one spot. Below this extreme, watch the fish.

Are they hanging around the corners to stay out of the current? Are they getting blasted by the water jet from the pump? Does it look they are struggling?

Water in the ocean is not still, there are currents. If conditions get rough, fish can figure out where the best flow rate is to hang out.

OP
OP
GazS

GazS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

I have attached a video, I think they seem OK to swim.

The pumps have wave maker functions and are set on random patterns with power down to 40%.

Video with those settings :

But I turned the side one off and they seem a lot happier tbh. So i think 1 pump is probably enough flow....

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back