Flowing Coral: What's your favorite "moving" coral?

How important to you is having a reef tank with "coral movement" in it?

• Very important

Votes: 302 54.8%
  • Moderately Important

Votes: 187 33.9%
  • Not that important

Votes: 50 9.1%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 10 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me start by saying that "flowing coral" doesn't have to be a soft coral or even an LPS coral. I've seen some SPS polyp fluff that can rival some of the best coral tentacles! With that in mind let's talk about coral that flows!

1. What is your most favorite "flowing coral?" Photos will get you bonus points!

2. How important to you is having a reef tank with coral movement in it?

For inspiration, here is a 10-month-old, 80-gallon mixed reef belonging to @MulletBoy .
r2rdB8NouU.jpg

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
20 years ago I would have said Xenia but today high flow I like torch movement, low/medium flow I like a well stocked anemone tank. Water movement/circulation is very important to me simply because I stock a lot of filter feeders and I don't feed some of them directly. I also like to ensure that my anemones are getting their fair share of oxygen. Finally of course water movement through circulation due to the filtering process I feel is moderately important as it is what allows me to better control the nutrients within my system.

Edit 2: Thanks for pointing out that I bombed my first edit by simply posting it as a reply. Copied and attached it to this post. I really suck at this....

Edit 1: Thanks for pointing that out. I miss read it too. I thought the second question asked how important is water movement rather than coral movement. Regardless with water movement comes coral movement even in low flow environments. I prefer to see at least a moderate amount movement just simply because I like it.

Last edited:

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Edit: Thanks for pointing that out. I miss read it too. I thought the second question asked how important is water movement rather than coral movement. Regardless with water movement comes coral movement even in low flow environments. I prefer to see at least a moderate amount movement just simply because I like it.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is your most favorite "flowing coral?" Photos will get you bonus points!
Euphyllia movement is my favorite.

It is important. It is a visual indicator of flow intensity. My new tank gets a lot of sun throughout the day, and when it hits the tank, you can see the particles in the water being moved by the flow. This helps ensure the tank inhabitants are being delivered food.

20210822_205141578_iOS.jpg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan and torch!! :D (out of what I own)
0B37A318-1010-41EA-8AC9-822E48D0B2D8.jpeg

B9988CC4-7C6E-4606-8C91-33B0170D0D96.jpeg

Very important. SPS tanks are cool, but if they don’t any movement, they are less interesting IMO.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bland and fast growing as a coral it is I do not think anything compares to the movement of Pulsing Xenia. Of all the beautifully colored corals I have stuffed in my tank many of which move with the flow it ceases to amaze me how many compliments I get from random people on the Xenia..

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Are those the walking dendro things that have a symbiotic worm in them and can wander your sandbed? Or am I thinking of a different dendro? All the ones I've seen have been very brown and not green.
These are the fat head dendro type they have a orange red base with a more yellow lashes
they are know for being pretty easy to train through regular feedings to open during the day and look really good under blues or whites

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungia Sp.! Love a coral you can throw in your sandbed and it actually picks where it wants to stay.

wait….
You mean like swaying movement!!!

Well in that case I would be HELIOFUNGIA!!!!! Like a torch coral that picks where it wants to be. Eats better, and comes in more color varieties with more colorful tips. Truly an underrated coral genus.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this crazy translucent sun coral that came as hitch hiker on gulf rock.
Oddly enough it will spread its fingers when flow is just right which happens to coincide with what my shrooms are able to tolerate. Also a very important coral that helps me guage when something is wrong. Has a sweet spot for alk around 8.0-8.5 and let's me know when its slipping or drifting automatically.
20210901_085701.jpg
20210901_085630.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back