Floyd's 60gal first salt water tank ever

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my first dip into salt water. I just got the tank setup and filled 3 days ago with water from the local pet store. They gave me some bacteria starter and some ammonia stuff to get it started. Other than a new hydrometer I dont have anything to test with. What all should I be looking to monitor and when can I stick coral and fish in there? Im reading like crazy but its a lot to take in considering I came from freshwater where you test nothing and it all just works.

How is the setup looking? I have two heaters and a canister filter and a LED bar with dawn to dusk modes. I think its about 30lbs of live rock at the moment. Im looking into coral and fish that are easy for a beginner at the moment.

IMG_3345.jpg

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good. You might want some more rock. For testing, you might want to look at red sea’s starter kit. It has what you need to test during your cycle. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity.

I look forward to seeing your progress

Paheej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would splurge and buy one of those pre-built rock towers with the cylinder in the middle - they are expensive - like $200 to $300; however they are totally worth it. For live rock a couple of pieces should do - maybe even just a few pounds. I would also recommend you get at minimum two powerheads or one of those crazy fancy ones. I did not see one in your setup.

For fish - I would get one blue/green chromis to get you started - peaceful, active, hardy, and cheap - I cannot recommend this fish enough.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would splurge and buy one of those pre-built rock towers with the cylinder in the middle - they are expensive - like $200 to $300; however they are totally worth it. For live rock a couple of pieces should do - maybe even just a few pounds. I would also recommend you get at minimum two powerheads or one of those crazy fancy ones. I did not see one in your setup.

For fish - I would get one blue/green chromis to get you started - peaceful, active, hardy, and cheap - I cannot recommend this fish enough.
I was looking at the powerheads. Is that just for water flow within the tank? ive never had to use one of those in the smaller tanks ive had before (5-10gal) Would one work or do I need two? Maybe one on the bottom right and one on the top left to make it swirl a little? Ill look into those fish definitely, I need something forgiving for a first fish.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first "thing" in the tank. Looks like rust on the sand. Should I leave things be? Someone told me that I need to clean out my canister filter every other day with a salt setup?! That cannot be right.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank cycled and had our first fishes added last night. Also decided to make this a fish only tank as I dip into the salt world.

Attachments

• FISH.jpg
    FISH.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 71

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the powerheads. Is that just for water flow within the tank? ive never had to use one of those in the smaller tanks ive had before (5-10gal) Would one work or do I need two? Maybe one on the bottom right and one on the top left to make it swirl a little? Ill look into those fish definitely, I need something forgiving for a first fish.
Yes, powerhead is for flow. Will help keep waste suspended in the water column so that filtration can take it out. As you start looking into specific coral, flow will be important.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first "thing" in the tank. Looks like rust on the sand. Should I leave things be? Someone told me that I need to clean out my canister filter every other day with a salt setup?! That cannot be right.
your tank is cycling. I would recommend searching for cycling threads

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, powerhead is for flow. Will help keep waste suspended in the water column so that filtration can take it out. As you start looking into specific coral, flow will be important.
Decided just to stick with a fish only setup on this tank. Simple and easy for a salt beginner.

Back