Flubendazole experiences

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a look through the search options on the site but haven't really found much information regarding the effectiveness of Flubendazole for treating flukes.

I have Fluke-solve (Praziquantel) and also NT labs Marine Flukes and Worm treatment (Flubendazole).

I'd like to treat for flukes, once copper treatment is over, as most fish are showing symptoms. Treatment is taking place in a hospital tank so I have the option to use non reef safe meds.

Would it be more beneficial to use a Flubendazole based med over a Praziquantel based med?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used it myself. Noga's book says to dose it at 2 mg/l (active ingredient) to control hydra(?). He also says it is toxic to snails. Therefore, I would conclude that it is NOT reef safe.

For me, praziquantel is a "known quantity, and I tend to stick with things I know and understand well. I ran some tests with fenbendazole and saw horrendous toxicity in certain species, so I've sworn off that for good.

That all said, if you are dealing with the monogenean Neobenedenia, the best treatment is hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used it myself. Noga's book says to dose it at 2 mg/l (active ingredient) to control hydra(?). He also says it is toxic to snails. Therefore, I would conclude that it is NOT reef safe.

For me, praziquantel is a "known quantity, and I tend to stick with things I know and understand well. I ran some tests with fenbendazole and saw horrendous toxicity in certain species, so I've sworn off that for good.

That all said, if you are dealing with the monogenean Neobenedenia, the best treatment is hyposalinity.

Jay

I might shy away from the Flubendazole then Jay. I was just curious.

I did come across another one of your posts where you spoke of your QT method of copper 30 days, prazi x3 followed by 35 days hypo.

I "was" considering following this method as I'm a little nervous about doing hypo for the very first time with my entire fish stock, then maybe not doing the hypo on the end if the fish improve.

Just weighing up the options really. I was reading up a bit more on hypo last night it did put my mind at ease somewhat.

Think I may be leaning more towards the original plan of hypo after copper again ;Joyful

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only do the 35 days of hypo if I have confirmed there are Neobendenia flukes in the group. I do this through FW dip screening. If there are no flukes, I may opt not to do that. Prazi just doesn't stop Neo. Also, in this case, the hypo I'm talking about is half salinity, NOT the very low hypo needed for ich, so in this case, about 16 ppt or 1.012

Jay

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I remember you saying half salinity Jay. To my untrained eye I think there could have been neo present after a fw dip, based on your description of them. They were slightly transparent and perhaps 1-2mm in length.

Fish are looking much better now, with no signs of WS and the hippo has healed nicely, still scratching but not as much, mind you... he has always been a bit neurotic!

Other fish only flashing on rare occasions. 10th day of copper.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading an article saying that neo can be completely eradicated from the fish and eggs rendered unviable @15ppt (25c) within 5 days Jay?

Is this information correct and if so what is your reasoning behind running half salinity for 35 days?

Should I run for 35 days like yourself?

I'm in no rush as I have and couple of months remaining on my fallow period.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back